Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father in law gave me another project. A craftsman 11/32 with a tecumseh engine. I replaced the fuel line, primer line and carb. It runs pretty good now but the auger sounds rough when engaged. Here's a video https://youtu.be/SDpQdtcdVvI. I noticed there is a bolt missing that helps support the gearbox. I can also see some deflection on the side when the augers spin.

·
Registered
871 Posts
too dark and too short.
does impeller move up down if u grab it. likely a bad auger/ impeller shaft bearing or idler pulley, less likely the gearbox

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
too dark and too short.
does impeller move up down if u grab it. likely a bad auger/ impeller shaft bearing or idler pulley, less likely the gearbox
Sorry I'll try and get a better video. When I get back home I'll see if I can feel any movement. The snowblower seems to have had a rough life so far.

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
In addition to the end panel deflecting, it appears the noise is cyclic. It appears to be happening at the same time every rotation. Look for indications of scraping in the auger housing and I suspect you'll find your villain.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My 4/20 freebie was noisy and upon disassembly found auger rub. That side of the bucket was bent in causing hit. This thing is tinny unlike my older machines-0.060 vs 0.100 sheet metal.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Sure looks like the auger is hitting the housing. The whole housing seems to be flexing as the augers spin. You might try pulling the shear bolts and manually turning them to feel if it's hitting. Might be the augers are bent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts