Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Craftsman 9 HP Model 247.88790. It was just barely throwing snow and thanks to the people in this forum I was able to perform several repairs, such as replacing the float ring, putting in a new auger belt and doing the impeller mod. Over the last week we had a few storms and things were working pretty well, until today. Pulled the machine out and started it up, and the engine sounded like it was lagging again. I then pulled down on the auger lever and it was making a strange almost grinding noise, and there was no movement of the auger at all. Also, whenever the auger lever is engaged the engine bogs down even more.

I checked and all the shear pins are fine. I tried to move the impeller by hand but it barely budges, but there is nothing in the impeller housing that would prevent it from moving.

I have posted a link to my Previous discussion thread

Here is link to the new video from today.

I'm thinking gear box this time, or could it just be an issue with the belt I installed?

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Did you remove the belt cover and inspect the belts with the machine turned off and while it was running?

Reactions: nbwinter

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
You park it out in the elements or inside?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should add the auger blades don't turn at all. I don't know if that makes the diagnosis any different.
Did you remove the belt cover and inspect the belts with the machine turned off and while it was running?
I have not gone any further than what I posted - it was getting late in the day and I will take the suggestions I get and try to examine further tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I assumed you looked at the belts and idler pulley?

I am still leaning towards the gear box.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I assumed you looked at the belts and idler pulley?

I am still leaning towards the gear box.
As mentioned above I have not looked beyond what I posted and will dig a little deeper tomorrow. I wanted to get a feel of where I should be looking and see if the sound it was making was familiar to anyone.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Are you sure all the bolts are still on for the mod you did on the impeller?
Did you do all the blades when you did the mod?
Ice in the gearbox? Try heating the gear box up, if you have a heat gun, or even a hair dryer.
Maybe somehow the gearbox got water in it and it froze?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Looks broken to me . . . 🤪

check to see if the auger will spin by hand (engine off not engaged)

Does the impeller spin but not the auger (hard to tell from the video)

My thinking is that the auger is jammed . . . somewhere/somehow.

I wonder if the impeller pulley is spinning on the shaft?

Engine is surging a bit, but not an issue at this point.

Reactions: Rooskie

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lots of things to look at tomorrow. I'll start with the belt and pulley and go from there. The auger does not spin by hand with the engine off. The impeller is not spinning either - but there is nothing in the housing. I doubt there is ice in the gear box - it is fully sealed and if there were ice it would have,melted in the shed, just as the snow does left on the machine. But any of your suggestions could be the cause, so I'll start taking it apart and seeing what I find.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Tie down the the lever for the impeller augers a couple inches..just enough to release the brake but not engage the belt.
Unhook spark wire.
Reach in and turn impeller back and forth...might help with determining where the issue is...if you see the gear box move some..when you reach the jam..its the gear box

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
MTD Dual Stage 31AE6B3H501 and Craftsman Dual Stage C950-52677-7
52 Posts
Is the impeller and the flaps frozen to the inside of the tunnel? I have often heard of people doing an impeller mod but then dealing with frozen impellers which would then cause lots of noise and belt slippage.Would be good to see the same video but with the belt cover off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Starting to examine things, but have to be honest don't know if what I see is normal or not. Here is a photo of the inside of the auger/impeller - nothing built up, and all bolts intact on all three impeller blades. Not quite sure when these blades should be moving. If I understand correctly, the auger blades should not turn by hand - and they don't. If I take the shear pins out then they spin freely, but with pins in they don't turn by hand at all. The impeller barely moves by hand - I remember when I did the impeller mod it moved a little more freely - now it barely budges. When I tie down the lever as suggested by @Shovel the impeller turns freely but sticks as each blade with the modification passes by the bolts that hold the chute in place. However, at full speed that should make some noise but not really stop the blades from spinning. I have two videos linked which show the play on the belt with the handle at rest and fully engaged, and showing the play in the cable at rest and engaged.

Cable movement

Belt movement

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is the impeller and the flaps frozen to the inside of the tunnel? I have often heard of people doing an impeller mod but then dealing with frozen impellers which would then cause lots of noise and belt slippage.Would be good to see the same video but with the belt cover off.
I had discounted this idea when it was suggested earlier in the thread, but when I looked closer there was some ice built up inside the tunnel. While it didn't look like much, it could have impeded the impeller movement. I am going to bring the machine outside shortly and give it a try and will film it with the cover off.

If it turns out it is the mod getting frozen, how does one prevent this from happening in the future? There is only so much you can get off after using the machine and then storing it. I clean ut what I can but I certainly can't get to everything unless I bring it in the garage first and try to melt any visible snow from the machine before putting it in the shed.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Starting to examine things, but have to be honest don't know if what I see is normal or not. Here is a photo of the inside of the auger/impeller - nothing built up, and all bolts intact on all three impeller blades. Not quite sure when these blades should be moving. If I understand correctly, the auger blades should not turn by hand - and they don't. If I take the shear pins out then they spin freely, but with pins in they don't turn by hand at all. The impeller barely moves by hand - I remember when I did the impeller mod it moved a little more freely - now it barely budges. When I tie down the lever as suggested by @Shovel the impeller turns freely but sticks as each blade with the modification passes by the bolts that hold the chute in place. However, at full speed that should make some noise but not really stop the blades from spinning. I have two videos linked which show the play on the belt with the handle at rest and fully engaged, and showing the play in the cable at rest and engaged.

View attachment 175486

View attachment 175488

Cable movement

Belt movement
Bolt is in upside down..is why its jamming up your works..would probably miss it without an impeller mod..but that is sticking out quite a bit

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 44 Posts