Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! :)

I've been really struggling to figure out what belt this snowblower takes. I can't find the manual for this model and while I have heard similar models close to it such as the 27" or 28" have the same parts I've found this to be untrue in regards to the belt.

I looked online and verified as many times as I could to see what the auger belt size is. I ended up with a 38".

To my surprise my severely stretched belt measures 35.5!

I'm assuming this snow blower takes a 34.4 or similar size belt?

Does anyone else here have a early 90s Craftsman that takes a belt of this size?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
does the belt need to be replaced? is it loose? could just need to adjust the idler wheel that engages the auger. i think 35.5 and 34.4 are only available in 3/8". i think you might need 35x1/2" belt. Canadian tire usually has some in stock. you can always take it in to compare to all 3 sizes to see which is closest. if it is a full size number you could likely be able to get it cheaper at a farm supply store or automotive store.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does the belt need to be replaced? is it loose? could just need to adjust the idler wheel that engages the auger. i think 35.5 and 34.4 are only available in 3/8". i think you might need 35x1/2" belt. Canadian tire usually has some in stock. you can always take it in to compare to all 3 sizes to see which is closest. if it is a full size number you could likely be able to get it cheaper at a farm supply store or automotive store.

I figured I'd just go to Canadian tire as well. The belt is 35" exactly right now but it's extremely loose. The idler wheel engages fine and was already moved to it's maximum setting. I did notice that 34.4 is only 3/8" so I'm really confused as well. The belt is for sure 1/2" wide 3/8" deep.

I'll take a look again tomorrow afternoon and attach some photos to show what I mean. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or there's something obvious I'm missing. When the idler is engaged it has well over 1" of deflection.

Thank you for responding!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
3/8 or 1/2 is the width of the belt at the top. if the idler wheel is slid to the max can the arm rotate more to tighten up the belt? if so you may need to tighten up the cable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to SBF darkbeer. I could only find the below information which isn't for your exact model C950-52330-3. Maybe it is close enough??

C950-52320-3 C950-52340-3
<snip>

Thank you. Glad to have joined!

Thanks for hunting this down! What I don't understand is the belt is exactly 35" but when I engage the idler wheel it still has over 1" of deflection. Based on this and what crazzywolfie said I wonder if something else is wrong. I'll check things out tomorrow and add some photos.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3/8 or 1/2 is the width of the belt at the top. if the idler wheel is slid to the max can the arm rotate more to tighten up the belt? if so you may need to tighten up the cable.

It can't the back of the arm hits the chassis there is no more movement to be had. Really confused. The drive belt is 3/8" for sure and it's smaller than the auger belt. The size Grunt posted at 3/8" x 33.13" sounds right from a visual inspection. He listed the belt size at 35.6" but this belt is 35" and extremely loose. I'll snap some pics tomorrow hopefully it'll become more clear I'm really confused!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
is is common for drive belt to be 3/8". most of the time the auger belt is 1/2" especially on a 10hp unless it has the dual 3/8" belt setup which it doesn't sound like your machine has. if the belt is too long you could always buy a 34" belt. the manual he posted a link to i believe shows a 35x1/2" auger belt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is is common for drive belt to be 3/8". most of the time the auger belt is 1/2" especially on a 10hp unless it has the dual 3/8" belt setup which it doesn't sound like your machine has. if the belt is too long you could always buy a 34" belt. the manual he posted a link to i believe shows a 35x1/2" auger belt.

The belt is exactly 35" now and it's extremely loose. The pulleys are noticeably larger than the drive belt which is 3/8" Seems a 1/2" x 34" belt isn't that easy to find I see that Stens Canada sells one.

The belt itself doesn't even look like it's in that bad of a condition I'm going to have to take a really good look tomorrow and see if anything else could be wrong though A cursory look an hour ago didn't show anything out of place.

·
Registered
126 Posts
With the belt cover off, reach down and grab the bigger impeller pulley on the back of the bucket and see how much movement is in it. If you have a worn impeller bearing you can chase belt sizes, cable adjustments and idler positions all day.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Like to throw out the welcome mat for your first post...Greetings and welcome to the SBF from the Burg!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took some photos to show what's underneath the belt cover. You can see just how much the belt deflects with the idler pulley engaged and moved all the way over in the slot.

There is no more room for the pulley to move any further. The rod it's welded to has a 2nd bar that faces downward that engages the side of the chassis to stop it from moving any further it also has a spring attached to it to put tension on pulling it away.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the belt cover off, reach down and grab the bigger impeller pulley on the back of the bucket and see how much movement is in it. If you have a worn impeller bearing you can chase belt sizes, cable adjustments and idler positions all day.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked this right now and the bearing is just fine absolutely no play and it doesn't stick in the slightest. I attached some photos to show what's going on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like to throw out the welcome mat for your first post...Greetings and welcome to the SBF from the Burg!

Thanks! I've been reading the forum for quite a while now. I've always wanted to get a snowblower but wanted an older unit made in Canada so I could modify it as much as I wanted. Other than it having no power for throwing snow it runs like a dream and outside of rust has been very well maintained.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Try a 34.5" belt? A generic part number would be 4L345.

The belt is stretched out to 35" right now. Do you think 1/2" smaller is enough based on my photos? Thank you for responding!

·
Registered
893 Posts
The belt is stretched out to 35" right now. Do you think 1/2" smaller is enough based on my photos? Thank you for responding!
If the current belt is 35" and there's too much deflection even with the tensioner at maximum, then a 34.5" belt would be a good starting point.

I just went though some belt sizes on a project where a 39" belt was too short and a 39.5" belt was too long, but a 39.3" belt was just right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If the current belt is 35" and there's too much deflection even with the tensioner at maximum, then a 34.5" belt would be a good starting point.

I just went though some belt sizes on a project where a 39" belt was too short and a 39.5" belt was too long, but a 39.3" belt was just right.
Interesting. I would have thought 34" since the idler wheel is already pushed out as far as it will go if it isn't you can actually cross the belt over itself. I might fuse a piece of vinyl together to double check for fun.

I'll have to call around in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) to see if I can find someone that sells a 1/2" 34.5" kevlar/fibre belt. Seems that all the big box stores only sell 34.4" in 3/8" not 1/2".

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Canadian tire should have a belt size checker in the utility belt section so you can see what size your belt currently is. princess auto should also have a belt size checker if you got one close to use. princess auto is also likely cheaper to get the Kevlar belt. also how you measure a belt may be different than how they normally measure belt. with how much slop you have i would try going with a 34" belt and see how it fits. you could compare your belt to a 35" one at the store.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Canadian tire should have a belt size checker in the utility belt section so you can see what size your belt currently is. princess auto should also have a belt size checker if you got one close to use. princess auto is also likely cheaper to get the Kevlar belt. also how you measure a belt may be different than how they normally measure belt. with how much slop you have i would try going with a 34" belt and see how it fits. you could compare your belt to a 35" one at the store.
I measured the outside of it and got 34" I'm assuming most of these belts use outside dimensions but I do plan to bring the belt with me to be sure as well as a fabric measuring tape.

Looks like princess auto has one for me to try: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/a32k-kevlar-v-belt-1-2-x-34-in-/A-p8859811e

Thanks so much for recommending princess auto I had completely forgotten about them! I was really struggling to find this belt sizing I want to grab something before the snow in a couple of days.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts