Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a craftsman EAGER -1 and can't seem to figure out what carb kit I need ? When I got it years ago I was lucky enough to get away with a cleaning but like to quick kit on it, or swap for a China carb if anyone has a good amazon or fee-bay link for one ?

oh, and what motor is on this thing?

thank you in advance

Attachments

· Registered
1,912 Posts
This post suggests that the engine you have is an 143.676222:

According to my Tecumseh Technician's Handbook, 143.676222 is a Tecumseh HM80-155129D. Judging by the aluminum recoil starter and the choke knob by the flywheel cover on the left, this is probably a late 70s vintage snowblower. If you remove the electric starter switch (#3 below), you will likely find the model number stamped underneath it:

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Red Automotive tire Gas

If it is a Tecumseh 143.67622, the carburetor for that engine is 631957B. That carburetor is still available new, but as a "service carburetor." What I mean by that is you'll need to reuse some of the parts from the original carburetor like the choke butterfly valve and shaft. Here's a pic of a 631957B:

Auto part Automotive lighting Gas Metal Personal protective equipment

It looks to be similar dimensionally to the ubiquitous $12-15 aftermarket carburetors for 8-10 hp Tecumseh engines, p/n 632334A:

Gas Composite material Machine Auto part Metal

Take a look at your old carb and see if you'd be able to remove the choke shaft and butterfly to reuse it. If so, I'd start with an aftermarket 632334A and see if you can swap out the choke parts.

For what it's worth, I occasionally convert those 70s HM80s to the newer 90s throttle and choke lever design, if I find that the engine has good compression. Here are a few that I've converted:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Machine

The benefit of this conversion is that you no longer have to rely on a remote mounted throttle lever, and the cheap adjustable carburetors drop right in (you will have to drill a hole on the carburetor cover for the choke shaft to poke through):

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

According to my Tecumseh Technician's Handbook, 143.676222 is a Tecumseh HM80-155129D. Judging by the aluminum recoil starter and the choke knob by the flywheel cover on the left, this is probably a late 70s vintage snowblower. If you remove the electric starter switch (#3 below), you will likely find the model number stamped underneath it:

View attachment 206568

If it is a Tecumseh 143.67622, the carburetor for that engine is 631957B. That carburetor is still available new, but as a "service carburetor." What I mean by that is you'll need to reuse some of the parts from the original carburetor like the choke butterfly valve and shaft. Here's a pic of a 631957B:

View attachment 206569

It looks to be similar dimensionally to the ubiquitous $12-15 aftermarket carburetors for 8-10 hp Tecumseh engines, p/n 632334A:

View attachment 206571

Take a look at your old carb and see if you'd be able to remove the choke shaft and butterfly to reuse it. If so, I'd start with an aftermarket 632334A and see if you can swap out the choke parts.

For what it's worth, I occasionally convert those 70s HM80s to the newer 90s throttle and choke lever design, if I find that the engine has good compression. Here are a few that I've converted:

View attachment 206573

The benefit of this conversion is that you no longer have to rely on a remote mounted throttle lever, and the cheap adjustable carburetors drop right in (you will have to drill a hole on the carburetor cover for the choke shaft to poke through):

View attachment 206568

View attachment 206569

View attachment 206571

View attachment 206573

THANK YOU for your prompt and detailed reply, sorry for the delay in responding. I'm not opposed to the china carb since other carbs are as much as I paid for the unit years ago ....and all i did was clean that green out of the bowl. I did go look on the top for more info and at first I missed it but after closer inspection of the photo the number are in fact there, I need to go back and take a rubbing of it.

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

View attachment 206568

View attachment 206569

View attachment 206571

View attachment 206573

hated to sand it but too much rust and paint obscuring the #'s

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,573 Posts
If you can get access to an ultrsonic cleaner that would likely clean it up. Just an option. However you probably still need a new needle seat and gaskets. Just an option.

Reactions: CHEVEN

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thar she blows! An 143.676222! Thanks for coming back to confirm.

I hope all goes well with the aftermarket carb. If you have any grease or antiseize on hand, I'd smear a bit of it on that newly exposed metal before putting the electric starter back on, and then paint it properly in the spring.

View attachment 206568

View attachment 206569

View attachment 206571

View attachment 206573

Thar she blows! An 143.676222! Thanks for coming back to confirm.

I hope all goes well with the aftermarket carb. If you have any grease or antiseize on hand, I'd smear a bit of it on that newly exposed metal before putting the electric starter back on, and then paint it properly in the spring.
I just want to say thanks to all for the help in advise on my snow-blower .....I bought the CHINA carb (oh the humanity) from AMAZON, Panari HMSK80 Carburetor for Tecumseh HM70 HM80 The choke swapped right out like they both were made yesterday (one being 40 years old one being new) after a few minor adjustments it was purring right along. Had to wait for a little snow, but NEVER wishing for it the snow arrived today so i came home an dragged into the cold and it fired right up !! I let it warm for a few and went to town on some heavy wet snow !! I did buy the carb kit in case the china carb was crap but I have 2 exact machines so it'll go into the stock drawer. Amazing for 18 bucks you get a filter, on/off gas valve, primer bulb, spark plug and a CARBURATOR !!

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome, I'm glad to hear it. I'd love to see some pictures of the aftermarket carb you modified with the factory choke pieces.
I wish i could say there was all kinds of craftmanship and improvisation to show off but actually it was as simple as removing the butterfly screw slide out the shaft, slide in the old one and everything was dead on as the original. I have all the cover all on now and its unpleasant to take on/off .....all twisted and screws not factory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts