Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a new seal in the Lh (Rh when looking at the machine) side of the auger gear box as it will drain down over night and leaks at a high rate when running. So far I have the bearing tension cap off but I can't seem to get the auger gear to let loose so the race and bearing can come out. Anyways If anyone has had one apart I'd appreciate knowing the secret.

The model num is 536.90520
The link is Sears crappy scan of the auger housing

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/00018432-00004.png

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Hmm, that exploded diagram does leave a lot to be desired. Is there a drift pin, snap ring or something holding the gear in place?

·
Super Moderator
2,688 Posts
Seal

I think this one is a close match to yours: 536.90515 but I can't be sure.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Craftsman-Parts/Snow-removal-equipment-Parts/Model-53690515/0247/1507200/00009808/00004?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=53690515

If it is then check out parts #60 - 21922MA for an oil seal. Unfortunately I have not had one apart so I can't give you any help on a teardown but maybe someone else will recognize it and can help.
That may be what you're looking for. Here's what this auger looks like on a 536.90515 showblower:

If this does match, I think it was originally a Roper design that was picked up when Murray bought them out based on the info I've gotten.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats the right design. Though I'm having a hard time seeing anything thats holding the gear on the shaft I thought maybe it was keyed but I'm not sure. The race I'm sure is part of the problem. I just don't want to hit it really hard and crack the casting. I'll have to look at it again tonight. I have the seal since I was able to get that locally but beyond that maybe I'll have to go ask the shop across town and see if they know anything about it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure I looked at it and its unclear if it does or not. Though it looks like they put the bearing and race in backwards, So the bearing is on the side towards the drive gear not getting pressure from the nut. So then you can't pull it since the race is in the way and there is no way to get a tool in to yank the race. I'll try and take some pictures tonight. Though I need to fix my desktop PC tonight since that crapped out last week so I doubt I'll do more than take pictures. I haven't seen TD5771 hes got some this vintage but I don't remember if his have this gear case.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay I win more or less. I ended up taking the fwd gearbox completely off and supporting it between two stacks of 2x4s and using a hammer and brass punch to beat out the auger shaft. I got the seal in and the auger shaft back in place. Now I have to get it back on the blower and that put together Since I've now got a couple blowers backed up that need attention to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts