Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone..

This is my first post on the forum however I've been using it as a repair reference for quite some time. I have a problem and I'm hoping that someone out there might shed help some light on it..

I am the owner of three different Craftsman snow throwers, all varying in age from 1996- 2007

The latest gift was a newer Craftsman. It's a 9.5hp Briggs and Straton with a 27 inch cut. The machine does need some work. The brass worm gear, bearings and gear casing is destroyed. The previous owner failed to notice the gearbox failing and continued to use the machine until it basically fell apart. The problem is the decal that indicates model number and serial number has been removed. As a result, I have no way to order the correct parts to replace. The casing looks and measures identical to the other two craftsman machines that i own. I own a manual for one of my other blowers and tempted to order the parts for that machine and use them on the broken one.
Here are my questions:

Does anyone know how to get the model number if the decal is missing?

Can anyone confirm that all these gearbox components are the same?

Would it be cheaper to buy all the individual parts or a complete pre-assembled unit?

Really appreciate any advice. Thank you for reading.

Marc :confused:

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Cheapest might be to check craigslist for a blower with a blown engine or some other issues. If it is the same as yours you can swap the front end pieces or if not put your engine on that machine.

Simplest way to see if the parts interchange would be to take 2 of your machines apart and see if the parts can be swapped.

Without the model number it can be difficult, but maybe with some pictures someone can give you some idea of the number.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
the newer Tecumseh engines on the later model Craftsman blowers are decent engines, but the chute and impeller housings are awfully thin metal. I've seen them only 10 years old and rotted through and in terrible shape.

by comparison a 45 year old made in USA machine will have surface rust, but almost zero rust through. it's thicker metal.

there's 2 ways to improve something, make it out of better material, or make it bigger i.d. thicker steel. in the old days they did both.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts