Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone, first post here and apologies if this has been answered. Used the search function and couldn't find anything on my particular issue.

I have a Craftsman II 8/25 model 536.884900 I recently bought for a steal ($50) thing runs great starts first pull, augers move and all. However the Trac system on it will not move.

They move freely and it can be pushed around, however when engaging the Trac drive lever nothing happens and the Tracks lock up and I am unable to push, let go of the lever, and I can freely push it again.

Most forums I've seen on here always talk about them slowly moving or not at all.

Any ideas??? Belt has been replaced and lever seems to be fine. Hoping to get this thing running before snow hits here in Maine.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I think you have to disengage both ytack triggers to be able to move it when it is not running.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Have you pulled the belly pan off and inspected the friction wheel?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you pulled the belly pan off and inspected the friction wheel?
I have not, however opening the top cover to the belts showed that the drive belt was not on, put it on and tried starting it up only to have it thrown off again. The tensioner seems really loose and there's a spring coming off the auger drive that I don't know where it goes. Would you happen to have a picture of this top cover area? Diagrams that I've seen aren't very helpful to me 🤣🤣

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
No pics, however if you Google your model # you can find parts diagrams in about 1 second. I looked at those and cringed at the complexity of the drive and track system. Seems like a hot mess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, figured out it's basically the spring for both tensioners 🤣 however it still threw the belt..... Felt like it had decent tension though.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Remember this is preseason for snowblowers. Someone on the forum may have your model.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Well, figured out it's basically the spring for both tensioners 🤣 however it still threw the belt..... Felt like it had decent tension though.
Belts can be thrown because of something wrong/froze up in the housing

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The main large wheel seems to be very wobbly. Number 46 in the diagram... Any ideas on a replacement part #?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Number 46 in the diagram Part #90005937 is very wobbly, anyone have a suitable substitute by chance?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Why is it wobbly? Do you have it off of the shaft?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why is it wobbly? Do you have it off of the shaft?
Not sure why it is, I bought it second hand from a fellow for $50, it's wobbly before I've done anything to it other than looking at that spring and putting it back into place.

Starting to take the auger off now so I can see what's going on better.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Go after it! Could be its toasty or the shaft it's on is worn.

·
Registered
300 Posts
First off, That spring has been over extended and will never again supply proper tension.

Next question, Is the pulley separated from the shaft or does the whole shaft move? I have had a couple of the Craftsman II machines apart and they generally go until a bearing or bushing wears out and misalignment jams things up.

The pulley is obsolete. The maker of that blower has been bought out at least twice in the 30 years since it was built. To make things, worse Briggs & Stratton [the current owner] is just going through a buy-out/bankruptcy. Barring finding a dealer having an old dusty NOS part on the shelf, you will probably need to source used parts for the repair. Good thing is that the wheeled version of the Craftsman II 8/25 of the same time period uses the same drivetrain. The differences that make the tracked versions are almost entirely external.

Reactions: captchas and Zavie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First off, That spring has been over extended and will never again supply proper tension.

Next question, Is the pulley separated from the shaft or does the whole shaft move? I have had a couple of the Craftsman II machines apart and they generally go until a bearing or bushing wears out and misalignment jams things up.

The pulley is obsolete. The maker of that blower has been bought out at least twice in the 30 years since it was built. To make things, worse Briggs & Stratton [the current owner] is just going through a buy-out/bankruptcy. Barring finding a dealer having an old dusty NOS part on the shelf, you will probably need to source used parts for the repair. Good thing is that the wheeled version of the Craftsman II 8/25 of the same time period uses the same drivetrain. The differences that make the tracked versions are almost entirely external.
Any ideas on where I could get a new tensioner spring by chance then? It was like that when I looked in to see the belts. Also where is the proper hole for the other end of the spring?

Pulley rotates the shaft going to the plate that pushes against the friction wheel perfectly fine, all seems connected fine. This really reminds me of a manual transmission clutch in all honesty.
Makes me wonder if the tension spring is the culprit, technically if it has enough tension that pulley being a little wiggly should tighten right up right?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Maybe. The pulleys bearing could be shot. Where the pulleys arm connects to the frame and pivots could be loose, shot, done. We will know soon.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think I have a similar blower in the boneyard. I will see if I can get you a photo.

Reactions: Zavie

·
Super Moderator
435 Posts
good chance a good hardware store can match up the spring to something close.
i see from the craftsman list that model was made by 3 manufactures
536AMF (Murray)
536Noma (Murray)
536Western Tool & Stamping

1 - 20 of 22 Posts