Snowblower Forum banner

Craftsman impeller issue

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Shryp 
#1 ·
Hi I have a Craftsman snow thrower model 88799. The auger is engaging but the impeller is free wheeling. What needs replacing? Is it the sping pin? Thanks!

#2 ·
For terminology sake the impeller is the fan blade in the back that throws out the chute and the augers are the corkscrews in the front that gather the snow.

It is fairly common for the auger pins to break and those are easily replaced. The impeller pins do break on occasion, but those are rare. Because of limited access those are much more difficult to replace.

As long as only the augers are freewheeling and not the whole shaft you just need the pins. If the whole axle is spinning then you have a gearbox issue.

Reactions: beeb
#3 ·
Thanks Shryp. I have replaced auger pins many times. The auger pins are intact, and the auger enagages properly. The device that throws the snow up and out is not enagaging, it spins freely when the control is engaged. I will check the pin or pins on the impeller.

Thank goodness it didn't crap out until the majority of 2+ feet of snow in SE PA was removed. Cheers!

#4 ·
I cant find any drawings using the model number you listed.
Often a couple roll pins are used to secure the impeller to the impeller shaft.
Driving out remnants (if there is any) of the old pin can be a challenge. With any luck you will be able to access things via the chute opening.

#9 ·
Sometimes it can be better to bite the bullet and remove the whole front gearbox from the machine. It is more work, but then it is easier to support the impeller right where you are hammering. If you don't you can run the risk of bending the shaft or transferring impact vibration to the bearings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.