Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Craftsman Snow Thrower, engine runs well, but after using using for 20-30 minutes, the wheels stop turning. If I lift the wheels off the ground, they turn, but under load they don't.

I can put the blower away for a few hours, get some good use again, but ultimately the problem re-occurs.

I replaced the drive belt and made sure I had proper tension. The Friction wheel looks fine...minor wear/hardness to the rubber, but no nicks or substantial wear. All adjustments (cable tension, friction wheel location in lowest forward drive position) match specs.

I am at a loss. I can run this thing in dryer conditions (i.e. minor, powdery snow fall) with no problem for a long time. In heavier snow, slushy conditions, etc. I inevitably encounter the wheels not turning as I've described above.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
It sounds like you have snow or water dribbling to your friction disk plate hence disk is slipping, to resolve you have to look closely where the snow or water could come from and seal it with either some foam insulation tape or whatever. Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

That's where my head was at, I left out that right about when it starts to slip, I see oily water dripping into the snow. The cover/box that encloses the drive assembly is anything but watertight. Saw a you tube vid where a guy addressed this on the same model.

Thanks for the reply and what I think is a solid confirmation of the issue...I'll tackle it this weekend.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
It sounds like you have snow or water dribbling to your friction disk plate hence disk is slipping, to resolve you have to look closely where the snow or water could come from and seal it with either some foam insulation tape or whatever. Good Luck
+1 Been there, done that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts