Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
For those that are wondering about spending the extra money for a toro or ariens, look at the thickness of the friction disk in the photo, and compare it with yours, and i think that you will agree that you spent your money well.
I don't know, that is a steel one so probably pretty stout. I think my ariens built JD1032D has an aluminum friction disk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I had time today to disassemble my blower farther. Ready to straighten and weld the frame. Hoping for an improvement on straightening this.

I wonder what it would take to break these welds under normal use? Seems odd to me that this would break.

·
Retired Moderator
9,928 Posts
The horizontal weld looks like the person or machine only hit the bottom piece and not the joint with the weld. The vertical spots just look pathetic IMHO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Today I visited a friend with a large hydraulic press and a welder. Straightened everything out and welded it up better than new. The jackshaft is squared up again. I am going to install a new jackshaft anyway. Unknown how long it was running mis-aligned.

Now reassembly begins!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It's alive and propelling under its own power again!

Without a shop manual and little to no experience on snowblowers, I did have a few hiccups. I had to assemble and disassemble parts of the transmission multiple times. This trial and error exercise was needed for me to learn the proper sequence of reassembly. As you may know, these transmissions and various bolt on systems have lots of little hidden areas. As parts are assembled gaining access to some fasteners becomes impossible, unless obstructing parts are removed again.

I decided to order a new jackshaft as I had no idea how long it was running in the skewed position. When the new one arrived I was able to compare it. The old one could have lots of life left in it. I probably should have re-used it. Ah well, hind-sight is always 20/20. The overall build quality of this Craftsman/Murray seems quite good. The steel drive plate is plenty adequate. All the parts seem like good quality to me. Not cheaply made reverse engineered parts. It's getting harder and harder these days to find quality in lawn and garden power products. The new jackshaft was a little pricy, however I see it was made in the USA. Good! I have no problem paying more for quality and jobs here in North America.

I installed a new flanged bushing in the work gear drive for the front auger. It was pretty destroyed. The blower wheel goes back in same press to straighten it up again.
Lastly I am waiting on a new chute deflection adjustment cable to arrive. Then it's pretty well ready for winter. I may update to a bridge diode and LED light. Also the blower flapper update. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
You definitely want the LED light upgrade ... I replaced a regular one on a 10HP with the Par36 LED ... OMG, its like a car headlight now ....

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
i could have probably got you a used jack shaft a lot cheaper lol. i started parting out the craftsman i have. started taking parts off it to fix a noma i was given. the noma was in overall better shape and had the bigger engine so fixed it instead.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts