Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CRAFTSMAN SB410 24-in 208-cc snow blower. I have been having an issue where it doesnt start with pull chain when its cold (steps: move throttle to run, move choke all the way to left, prime 3 times, pull chain). So I have been starting it with electric cable (steps: move choke all the way to left, prime three times, press electric start button, and when it starts to crank, move the throttle to run).
It does, however, re-starts on first pull when the engine is warm. (steps: move throttle to the middle, prime 3 times, pull chain)
Its my first snowblower and I recently used it the very first time in a storm. Its never been used before so its fairly new. IT sat idle last year since we didnt have snow. At the begining of this winter season, it wouldnt start so I had to have its carb cleaned by a professional. Would also like to mention I store it in a detached unheated garage that can get pretty cold (northeast temperature).
Any insights as to what am I doing wrong here would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
Welcome to SBF Hope

Full throttle, full choke and one or two pumps then pull the cord. You should always start it with the throttle all the way open no matter if you're using the pull cord or the electric.
If it doesn't start pump two or three times and try again. The thing is not to flood it. Always easier to add another pump the next try.

I know when some of my machines have sat over the summer they can be a bear to start the first time and I've pulled out the electric start cord for that but once they're started they are usually good for the season.
Are you using non ethanol fuel in yours and a fuel stabilizer line Sta-bil 360 ?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I put 2oz of Stabil and 2oz of SeaFoam in all my 5 gallon gas cans. This treated fuel goes in all my equipment. Doing it all my life, and never had a carb or starting problem in any of my machines.

Never run dry or drain any machine. I do periodically run all my equipment, summer and winter, as it is not good to let a machine sit, just as it is not good to let a car just sit there.

Proof to me that it works, plain and simple.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I always tell people it never hurts to over prime, try 6-8 times. Most snowblowers will just flood out the carburetor throat and these Chinese engines run pretty lean

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
On my Craftsman I put the choke all the way to the RIGHT to start, that is full choke.
Middle half choke.
All the way to the left is fully open.
Try all the way to the right, then when it starts be quick to move it to the middle, then when it warms up a little set it all the way to the left.
Most Craftsman I see are like this?

To start mine up put the throttle all the way up to run, choke all the way to the right.
Then what I said above.

Edit, do you have a manual with it?

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
Looks like on theirs, full choke is to the left.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
Without looking at the specific choke setup I'd have no idea. That's part of the problem there isn't a standard way of them doing it.

It's also why I didn't say which way to turn it as I had no clue. I have some go right, some go left and the old Ariens where you hold it in and pull the engine over slow to suck gas in. Never could figure out how that worked until I saw it on youtube.

My gut feeling is it might have more to do with them not having the throttle full open.
Different machines take different amounts of prime but that's something you get a feel for after a season or two of use. The colder it gets the more pumps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts