I have a craftsman snow blower model number 944524410
I would like to replace the friction wheel rubber ring ,
looking for a step by step help on how to change the friction rubber ring
on my snow blower.

thank you

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Actually, should be straight forward ..... Drain the gas out of the tank, also good time to drain the oil, and change the oil to a fresh 5W30 Full Synthetic ....... Once unit is void of gas, and possibly empty oil as well, put it up in the service position, pull the belly inspection pan and you will see what you have to do to change out the friction disc. Most of the relatively newer machines are pretty easy, .... Some of the older 60's or 70's units were somewhat involved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, should be straight forward ..... Drain the gas out of the tank, also good time to drain the oil, and change the oil to a fresh 5W30 Full Synthetic ....... Once unit is void of gas, and possibly empty oil as well, put it up in the service position, pull the belly inspection pan and you will see what you have to do to change out the friction disc. Most of the relatively newer machines are pretty easy, .... Some of the older 60's or 70's units were somewhat involved.
Hi
thank you all for your great info regarding my snow blower ,
I am sending a pic of the inside of my snow blower transmission,
Looking for any advice on how easy or hard it would be to change
my friction wheel on my snow blower .

thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Looking for any advice on how easy or hard it would be to change my friction wheel on my snow blower .
Not very? One example:

Reactions: Tony-chicago

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That job is easy, go on Youtube and there are some videos that will walk you through the job.
Hi
thank you all for your great advice to help me solve my problem ,
I could not find my type of transmission set up on youtube
on how to take the shaft apart ,
does the 2 iner gears that are one on each side of the friction wheel shaft stay in place
as I take out the shaft or does the whole shaft come out with the gears
please see pic I posted .

thank you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi
thank you all for your great advice to help me solve my problem ,
I could not find my type of transmission set up on youtube
on how to take the shaft apart ,
does the 2 iner gears that are one on each side of the friction wheel shaft stay in place
as I take out the shaft or does the whole shaft come out with the gears
please see pic I posted .

thank you

looks like your friction disc axle will slide out enough to add the disc by only unbolting one side. Wheel has to be removed to get to the 3 bolts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

looks like your friction disc axle will slide out enough to add the disc by only unbolting one side. Wheel has to be removed to get to the 3 bolts.
Hi
thanks for your advice regarding my snow blower
is it possible that only the friction wheel shaft comes out alone and every thing else stays in place, Would the left side be the best way to take out the friction wheel shaft .
thank you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts