Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just saw a deal for a non working craftsman 5/23 tracked snow blower.
I looks very good but i was wondering what to look for when buying tracked unit.

The guy says it has spark but doesn't work and he seems to buy and sell a few snowblowers at the same time...

so my guess is that it's not only a carb job but i have parts.

he is asking 100$ Cad

What do you think? What should i look for?
here's how clean it is
Tire Plant Wheel Automotive tire Mower

·
Registered
139 Posts
hmm, a 100$ seems a bit much, of course, it is a tracked unit, but, even if it looks good from the outside, the drive system could have some damage, you should ask him if he ever had any problem with the drive system on this unit, and also ask him how he was doing the maintenance on it

·
Registered
289 Posts
My concerns would be
1] does the machine freewheel? Drag it backward with the engine off. If the tracks drag instead of rotating then you're looking at cleaning all the axles of rust buildup.
2] does the electric start work without loud noises?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
that is a machine i would almost want to see running to see if everything works. i could be wrong but i believe that is a 8 or possibly 10hp engine and not a 5hp from the looks of the muffler and fuel tank which if that is the case you definitely almost want to see what is going on under the belt covers and hope it is not a dual shaft machine that someone tried converting to a single shaft machine. if that is at least a 8hp engine on that machine and everything works like it should it would likely be worth the $100. if it is truely a 5hp engine i would pass.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Agree with crazziewolfie, that's not a 5hp tec,
My experience with these era tracked machines is they are typically sold to unsuspecting folks before a storm not running "needs a carb cleaning" and are locked up in the many axles/sprockets and chains inside the archaic outside tracks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys confirmed my fears and i decided not to invest in it.
Good remarks on the engine size. This guy seemed to fix snowblowers and it probably wasn't worth fixing so he sold it

·
Registered
94 Posts
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

I have one. I love it for a backup and small snow. I paid $200 but it came with a newer 212 Predator. Did the paddles and it easily throws 30 feet or more. Real sweet little blower.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I have one. I love it for a backup and small snow. I paid $200 but it came with a Predator. Did the paddles and it throws 30 feet or so. Real sweet little blower.
but i believe yours is the newer version that likely came with a single shaft engine so a engine swap is not a big deal in that case. the snowblower i posted a pic of looks a lot more similar to what he was looking at and it is a dual shaft engine so putting a single shaft engine on it is not usually as straight forward. i would say yours it likely a noma or murry machine just like my beater machine that i got for free.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
94 Posts
Correct mine is a single shaft Murray but the motor was replaced with the 212 Predator so its possible the shafts were also changed. Never looked up the year but its a mod 536.884822

Edit: just called Sears mine is a 1987 model

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here is a pic of another old Murray Craftsman I wish I still had. Its a 35-40 year old 10/32 Trac-Plus. It would throw 40+ after doing the paddles.

Snow Freezing Biome Automotive tire Landscape

1 - 11 of 11 Posts