Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this weird little machine in today.

Craftsman 247.881700
Serial 1G272B40459

This doesn't use the friction disc type trans. Looks like one of those little trans you'd find on a front wheel drive walk behind mower.

Problem is, the machine doesn't drive. The mechanism appears to be actuating underneath when the lever is pushed. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they go bad or is there something specific I should be looking for to repair?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I got this weird little machine in today.

Craftsman 247.881700
Serial 1G272B40459

This doesn't use the friction disc type trans. Looks like one of those little trans you'd find on a front wheel drive walk behind mower.

Problem is, the machine doesn't drive. The mechanism appears to be actuating underneath when the lever is pushed. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they go bad or is there something specific I should be looking for to repair?
Those are pretty good about chewing the trans up. They have a sacrificial bronze gear inside. They are pretty pricey to replace. If it's a rust bucket, I wouldn't even bother with repairing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Last year a local guy had one of these (MTD or Murray brand) for sale. It looked almost new but he had taken the transmission apart and shown the chewed up bronze gear. He was selling it super cheap. I think he had done his homework and found that you couldn't just buy the bronze gear, but had to buy the entire transmission.

However, having did some googling while I was writing this, I wonder if this is the gear and you can buy it separately???

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Gear/91704861/1841676?TLSID=1892&Ref=611198&gclid=CjwKCAjwsfreBRB9EiwAikSUHYOw0Fg0hMF-oKyXT5XlBSQu9bValZhi8dhOr01bjgo2wnWj0Ql4VxoCbVEQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
116 Posts
You are likely correct, that is probably not for the transmission.

·
Registered
871 Posts
You are likely correct, that is probably not for the transmission.
not probably, most def its not for tranny, its for the auger gearbox.
maybe local machione shop can cut u a new gear, as for price, bring in the old one and just ask

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had one of these with same problem. I read that the internals are plastic and reliably break under any significant load. I think the new gearbox price was $90 and that's the easy route I took before selling it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts