Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen this on CL and figured if it was $50 and ran I could do something with it, He gave a good description of what was wrong and said it wasn't throwing snow and thought it was time for a new one, No price given so I texted him asking how much. He said free to good home so off I went LOL. This is the third craftsman in the last few weeks and all have been in decent shape with one thing or another to fix but decent machines to flip, Like the 27" this also has a 8.5HP Tec engine but this is like the compact version of them, It's 26" but so much smaller but with a big engine. The rust looks bad but the metal still feels solid and I can clean it up. The one thing all 3 had in common is all the owners had at least one bolt in the auger and one shear pin, Well this one has 2 bolts and the baffling thing is there are 2 unused shear pins in the storage box for the pins LOL. Hopefully it doesn't need a gearbox rebuild like the 27". Pretty easy job but a $45 part. I do know it needs the bearing as I can wiggle the auger shaft and impeller so that will be getting replaced with the belts. It runs also but will be going through it checking things out as I go. Just another project for the summer. The funny thing about this is, On the 27" the chute was broken so upgraded it to a metal chute from a different model, Cost $60 and THIS is the model the chute came off of so even if this gets scrapped I have a chute to upgrade the 29" I picked up last weekend.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Everything I read on Craigslist in my area is $125 and up with 60 yr junk for $25-$100.

This is a good flip and you have enough room to make money and come down some.

Congrats.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was the plan, However it MAY get swapped with my girls 521, She want's more power LOL YUP I love that girl LOL but either way it is ALL profit. I have $150 into the 929 I got last weekend but that was paid for out of the $350 I sold the 8.5/27 for so I'm ahead at the moment and either way selling this or the toro 521 it will be profit even after parts and paint. My biggest worry was Cranman was going to beat me to it LOL Was closer to his neck of the woods in Bridgewater right near the Middleboro line LOL

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put it next to the 29" and it looks like craftsman version of the compact

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I was feeling a little guilty Dauntae about getting all the scores, so I've been fishing lately in Hudson and grabbing stuff off Jackmels plate! Kidding aside.....I've got so many blowers to sell for next year, I don't even look any more. Everytime I do, I find one I can't live without and go get it. I love playing with them, but it;s time to put away the blowers and start with tractors......at least we know people will be mowing this summer.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Cranman, You're not Stealing anything from me...I passed on that stuff.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I know I didn't Jack...just being a smart ass....They were pretty rough, I just needed a project, and another reason to come visit you.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may start a rebuild thread, And figure out what color paint will match this one LOL Craftsman changes there color way too much. Started it and started pretty easily and runs really well, Drives well too but still going to go through it. Girlfriend still debating which one to keep, Her 521 is ready to sell and fully serviced but she wants a little more power, Would have repowered it but hers has the double shaft so a predator was not going to work so she may take this one and the Toro goes for sale. Well have 3 to go through this winter and still looking for good deals.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I've noticed a trend towards taller, narrower tires than in the past. I know that works better for cars in the winter. Does it hold true for snowblowers also ?

Sorry for the hijack !

·
Registered
270 Posts
checking Craigslist today there are quite a number of $100 or less snowblowers, unfortunately seems to be the same old tired machines I've read about for weeks.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems it's like that in most areas, But there is always the person that doesn't think it is worth the trouble to fix or got a new one before they had the chance to fix it and decided it's not worth there time and just want's it gone like this one was. VERY expensive neighborhood and I don't think buying a new one was a issue but I don't think trashing it was what he wanted since it runs so good so he posted it hoping someone who can fix it will get use out of it. Just need to stay vigilant watching the ads and get there before cranman sees it LOL (I'm kidding) Girlfriend watches the virtual yard sales in my area for me too so that is helping but I search every day and weekends seem to be when most of the deals seem to pop up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know someone that works in L&G at Sears. Even in their current state they'll sell $20k+ a day during a snow event. Craftsmans will be there even if Sears is gone, and even if they go Chinese they'll be floating around probably for decades.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I did a little work seeing what this may need, Gearbox is well maintained and lubed up but the friction disk is a bit worn so that is on order along with new belts, Looks as though the pulley shaft had been greased and looks like it will come off easy. Bearing is definitely in bad shape and I can move the pulley back and forth quit a but but have one already on hand but will wait until the other items are here before I pull it apart. other than getting some rust converter and a little paint this should be a easy fix. AND he had a brand new bottom cover as it was painted black and paint is perfect with no rust. Looks like this will be a good machine once it's all done.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I enjoy working on the MTD's even though I think that they are cheaply built. So simple and easy even though cheap. I've found that the two I did this winter had an exact match for paint in Rustoleum. Sunset red for the Yard Machine and Dark Hunter Green for the Yardman. I haven't done over one of the Craftsman grey ones yet that needed paint so can't help you with that one. Funny though..customers will pass up a really sweet Ariens or Toro cause the MTD really looked good with new paint, or maybe they just like the name Yardman or Yard Machine.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know what you mean on the shiney ones being wanted more, Not too worried about the paint matching too close, The girlfriend doesn't care about the paint but I want it to at least look good. From the searching I did it looks like Duplicolor Duplicolor Galaxy Gray is supposed to match so I may try that. I am also going to try out Corroseal Rust Converter Primer to see how well it works, Have read good reviews on it and hopefully it works as advertised, Metal is solid but much longer it may start getting soft so I'll be doing that sooner than later and add impeller kit while it is apart.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Did you every try Corroseal and if so, how did it work for you?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I seen this on CL and figured if it was $50 and ran I could do something with it, He gave a good description of what was wrong and said it wasn't throwing snow and thought it was time for a new one, No price given so I texted him asking how much. He said free to good home so off I went LOL. This is the third craftsman in the last few weeks and all have been in decent shape with one thing or another to fix but decent machines to flip, Like the 27" this also has a 8.5HP Tec engine but this is like the compact version of them, It's 26" but so much smaller but with a big engine. The rust looks bad but the metal still feels solid and I can clean it up. The one thing all 3 had in common is all the owners had at least one bolt in the auger and one shear pin, Well this one has 2 bolts and the baffling thing is there are 2 unused shear pins in the storage box for the pins LOL. Hopefully it doesn't need a gearbox rebuild like the 27". Pretty easy job but a $45 part. I do know it needs the bearing as I can wiggle the auger shaft and impeller so that will be getting replaced with the belts. It runs also but will be going through it checking things out as I go. Just another project for the summer. The funny thing about this is, On the 27" the chute was broken so upgraded it to a metal chute from a different model, Cost $60 and THIS is the model the chute came off of so even if this gets scrapped I have a chute to upgrade the 29" I picked up last weekend.

if If I knew it was you,I would have charged you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts