Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please feel free to add to this thread. I only ask that you blur out the seller's details in the ad

1) Honda?!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Font

2) a Poulan Pro 27" with a 208cc engine that was once $1800? i don't think so

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Circle

3) yard machines masquerading as a toro

Nature Automotive tire Tire Wheel Screenshot

4) wringing 9.5 horsepower from a factory 208cc engine takes skill and imagination, mostly imagination

Motor vehicle Font Grass Machine Screenshot

· Premium Member
3,032 Posts
I see sellers using the torque rating as HP in their ads often.
Probably most of them are not intentionally trying to deceive, but it still bugs me every time I see one of those ads.
I have seen newbies on the forum who have purchased a machine thinking the torque rating was HP.

· Registered
839 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Black

Looks like somebody got swindled. Seller says it's only a year old when it's either from 2010 or 2011. The years of the plastic chute Sno-Teks

· Registered
Toro 826LE/w Repowered Tecumseh 10.5
595 Posts
Uneducated buyers will get fleeced. That is what keeps the MTD brands around. I've seen a lot of Ariens blowers using the Torque ratings as HP. Saw one locally advertising a 20HP Ariens. 🤣🤣🤣

The biggest complaint I have is that used prices are insane.

· Registered
2,232 Posts
heres a beauty
wont turn over but he says it has compression yeah right
rusted muffler
260 bucks ahhhh free if your lucky

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
View attachment 207066

Looks like somebody got swindled. Seller says it's only a year old when it's either from 2010 or 2011. The years of the plastic chute Sno-Teks
I see this all the time in Honda sales. Saying a HS928 is only a year old or a HS80 is only 4-5 years old. I message the seller about this and they come back and say " I have only owned it for a year or 4-5 years etc. "

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
Uneducated buyers will get fleeced. That is what keeps the MTD brands around. I've seen a lot of Ariens blowers using the Torque ratings as HP. Saw one locally advertising a 20HP Ariens. 🤣🤣🤣

The biggest complaint I have is that used prices are insane.
Market drives the used prices......economics 101. supply and demand.

· Registered
839 Posts
heres a beauty
wont turn over but he says it has compression yeah right
rusted muffler
260 bucks ahhhh free if your lucky
The classic "just needs a carb clean." 👌 Beverly huh, maybe after work Monday I'll have to go pick it up 🤔... Nope.

Reactions: KJSeller

· Registered
839 Posts
I see this all the time in Honda sales. Saying a HS928 is only a year old or a HS80 is only 4-5 years old. I message the seller about this and they come back and say " I have only owned it for a year or 4-5 years etc. "
Oh yeah, just as common as the "just needs a carb clean." That guy was asking $450, just about what that machine cost new. 🤦

Reactions: KJSeller

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
buyer beware. that is what we try to do is educate people. On the high dollar used machines I highly recommend people take a mechanic with them.

It's unbelievable to me what people will pay for junk and then have to pay hundreds at a shop just so they can use it. I have invited dozens of people to come to my garage where I show them what to look for in a good used Honda. All I work on are Honda's.

It's sad but totally avoidable.

· Registered
4,772 Posts
i am not posting a bunch of screen shot but will post a link to it instead. it is not like they are asking a ridiculous amount but you can tell that they painted it not very good which always makes me wonder just how much more may be wrong with it

· Premium Member
3,032 Posts
MTD listed for $300.00
Ad states:" As is, worked great last year, has not been used this year" .

Hmm ......really??

Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle

Check out the pull cord handle.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

· Registered
839 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts