Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi new to group never owned a snow blower .live in northern nj.had several bad storms last year and heat my house with wood.my town forces me to keep wood in back of house..i have a dirt driveway not feasable to clear completely, want to clear where plow leaves huge piles on end of drive but on tar..concumer reports rates cub cadet both 2 and three stage top f line for 2021 models.my question is two fold,is 3 stage worth the expense and what do you do when dealers have very low cutomer rating and no bbb rating at all?cub cadet doesnt seem to be concerned about their dealers rating in my area.one last question,is efi worth $300 extra? or is the lectric start good enough with carb.thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
MTD makes Cub Cadet snow blowers, as well as Craftsman and Troy-Bilt, etc.....

I just picked up a fairly new model of the 2X, which seems to be a good contender for snow removal, although I did install an impeller mod (extended impeller fins) on it. This will be my first year with it. I do like the zero turn feature, as well as controlling the chute maneuvers from behind the handle bars , from the control panel.

I believe the 3X is a gimmick, and really not needed, just something more to break or go wrong. Maybe someone else who owns one will chime in with an unbiased review.

Even though all my current nine snow blowers, which have electric start on most of them, I always just use the pull cord.

I never in my life owned an EFI model.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I generally don't bash brands so I'll leave these 3 words of advice to you. Take it with a grain of salt.

Honda
Toro
Ariens

Don't bother with 3 stage. It's not really a true 3 stage. More like 2.05 stage with complimentary frustration. Engineers are really good in math, but I doubt they put the 3x stickers on the machines. That's the work of some graphic artist and marketing guy.

Also, do not believe everything you read from Consumer Report. Their rating system is highly weighed towards price. That's the only nice thing I can say about CR so I won't go any further.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Clean gas, carb clean, compression good, synthetic oil in the engine, No need to use the electric start even if left outside under a tarp.

Others on here hate the 3 stage and got rid of them. It looks like a great idea but it doesn't work.

The EFI is still buggy.

Forget about Consumer Reports.

Honda
Simplicity Pro
Ariens, some models
Toro, some models
Simplicity

Most on here prefer the older machines.

Choose hp over size, aka get the larger engine.

Reactions: contender

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Agree totally with aa335, check out Honda, Ariens, Toro.

I would recommend a 24 - 28" machine with a minimum of 250 cc (the bigger the better), non EFI.

Check them out in person at a dealer, get hands on them, check out features, build quality, ask questions etc., get a feel for the dealer's customer service and capabilities.

If you have further questions, ask away, many knowledgeable, helpful folks on the forum willing help or use the search feature to look up your questions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One thing no one seems to have caught in your post, if you have a dirt driveway I would say look for a tracked machine-new, used or whatever you get, because you can set the bucket scraper to a set height and not dig into the ground throwing dirt or rocks occasionally. It's much easier that readjusting skid shoes on a wheeled thrower. If you have a lot of freeze/thaw weather cycles it becomes well worth it. Been there, done that!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I am not a Honda expert but ST1300 got me thinking, I believe it's been posted before that you can raise the bucket on Hondas, not sure if all Hondas.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
are you handy? if so might be worth looking at a used machine for what you need. your wallet usually hurts a bit less when hit and break something with a cheap machine apposed to a brand new machine. the older mtd's with the smooth augers are pretty nice for hitting stuff. the red one on the right is the mtd i gave my aunt for her rescue. it was all gravel or grass there so i lowered the skids as low as possible to lift the bucket, did the impeller mod and it has been a great machine that is nearly impossible to break by un-experienced volunteers mainly because of the smooth augers.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I believe it's been posted before that you can raise the bucket on Hondas, not sure if all Hondas.
You can raise/suspend the buckets on pretty much every tracked blower. The HSS tracked Hondas offer continuous adjustments, while older HS Hondas and most other US-available tracked brands offer several incremental height adjustments.

Reactions: JLawrence08648

·
Registered
778 Posts
If you regularly deal with HARD frozen berms at the end of the driveway you don't want that comical little 3rd stage auger sticking out the front of your bucket. It will ride up on top and force the blower housing to one side making the blower hard to control.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The 3x middle auger with the marketing moniker of “induction accelerator” compresses wet northern NJ snow and creates a wall. The pitch isn’t aggressive enough to cut into the snow and it makes it much more difficult. Stick with traditional auger designs.

On the other hand if you ever encounter a pile of saw dust similar to what was used in the Consumers mag review, then you’ll do just fine :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 3x middle auger with the marketing moniker of “induction accelerator” compresses wet northern NJ snow and creates a wall. The pitch isn’t aggressive enough to cut into the snow and it makes it much more difficult. Stick with traditional auger designs.

On the other hand if you ever encounter a pile of saw dust similar to what was used in the Consumers mag review, then you’ll do just fine :)
Lol

·
Registered
726 Posts
Unless you are getting an absolutely great deal on that cub I would opt for a Toro or Ariens.
The cub is just another MTD...and younoften pay more for the cub name but can get its cousin for less money...it will be a different color more or less.
You can find great deals on somebof the MTD models by hunting on the internet.
I picked up my craftsman MTD brand new in box for a little over 400 bucks...I wouldn't spend big money on a MTD based machine ..If no great deal was to be found then I would drop the cash for a Toro.

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts