Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 31AH5DTA596 from Lowes. I went in planning on a fairly standard 2X 24" with a 208CC engine. Then noticed they had a 3X 26" with a 357CC engine on mark down. It was an open box return. Looked it over and didnt see anything wrong with it. Decided to go with it for a few dollars more than the one I originally decided on. Got it delivered, fueled it up and went in the garage the next morning. Garage smelled like gas and there was a puddle by the back tire. Good thing I only put 1/4 tank in as it all leaked out. Guess I know why it was returned. Lowes is taking it back and bringing me a new one as a replacement. Should be about a week. Really like this blower and the controls. Hope to be able to post more once I have my new blower. Course it is the end of the season but I got a great price.

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
I had a new Ariens that did that. Would leak all the fuel out when it wasn't running. Nice that you're getting a new blower, mine was just repaired.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was the cause in your case? I didnt investigate because it was new and they just swapped it out. It seemed to be coming around the back corner, right over the one tire. Couldnt tell if it was the tank, a hose or the carb.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lowes called me today. They cant get me another 26" so are upgrading me to the 30" with the 420CC engine at no extra cost! Going to assemble and test it prior to delivery. Only downside is no heated grips but I should be able to get the job done faster anyways. :)

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Lowes called me today. They cant get me another 26" so are upgrading me to the 30" with the 420CC engine at no extra cost! Going to assemble and test it prior to delivery. Only downside is no heated grips but I should be able to get the job done faster anyways. :)
That says we should if we have a choice, Home Depot or Lowe's, buy at Lowe's? Great endorsement. I prefer to buy from small businesses because of their expertise but try to get a free upgrade or pickup for a problem machine or reimbursement. There is something to be said about Big Box stores.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Congrats ! I have put on Chinese-made heated hand grips for about $5, and they work excellent. Bought them on Ebay. If you search HHG, or Heated Hand Grips on this forum, you should find the reference. They are sold for Snowmobiles, and motorcycles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Excited to get the new blower even though I probably wont get to test it out till next year. I wasnt really looking for an upgrade. 30" is probably overkill for my driveway but it was too good to pass up. I will check out the hand grips. Not sure why they dont include them on this model. I have seen the MTD ones online for about $30. Do the Chinese ones on Ebay also plug and play?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have seen the MTD ones online for about $30. Do the Chinese ones on Ebay also plug and play?
Yes and no. If you can figure out an electrical circuit, and solder a couple of connections, then yes. Otherwise, can you understand a YouTube video ? If no to both, then you should buy the OEM ones.

If you were near NYS Capital District, I could assist with the Chinese ones. Will work for beer !

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. I will probably run it first next year and see how it is....if my hands are cold I will upgrade them. I have to say Lowes was good with their customer service in this case and I am happy with them. I would buy from them again. I know there are lots of horror stories about the big box stores. Made out pretty well since I only paid $885 US.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I will wear gloves when out there using this thing. I have to go back to Lowes so they can re-ring it for the warranty. Good news is they are now having a no tax event and I will get that discount too. After all is done I will only have $750 US in this blower delivered to my door. I know it is not a commercial model but a comparable one from an independent dealer would be way more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had to go in a get the new blower ringed up for the warranty. Going to refund me for the other when they pick it up. Drop off of the new blower will be Tuesday and I will post a pic.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
This is getting cheaper at every post. You got yourself a really good deal. Now will this last you the rest of your life?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont need it to last the rest of my life. I know people on this forum look down on people who buy blowers with Chinese engines and MTDs but it will still probably last me 15 years at which point I will buy another blower. A lot of people on here seem to think anyone that doesnt buy a commercial grade high end Honda or Ariens wasted their money. I am not going to use it enough to ever recover my costs buying one of those.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Many on the forum feel hat a better investment than heated hand grip is to buy a good pair of warm gloves.
There is, of course, plenty of sense to this. I have pretty decent gloves, I'd say. I kind of dismissed heated grips, until I got a machine with them. And the first winter with it was 2 years ago, when we had a bunch of big snowstorms, with colder-than usual temperatures, and wind. I quickly became a believer :)

One time my fingers were getting pretty cold while cleaning off my car, before doing the driveway. Once I started with the blower, the heaters warmed my fingers right back up again, it was really nice.

Good gloves help regardless, but if you can add heated grips at a reasonable cost & hassle, I'd look into it, myself.

Sounds like you got quite a deal, on a powerful machine, enjoy it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found the heated grips that are plug and play for $30 online. I will probably put them on since they are cheap. This blower is bigger than I needed but couldnt turn it down. No other place could I get a 3 stage, 420cc blower for under $1K CDN.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts