Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
only item on that one i like is the head lamp on the auger houseing where it is needed other wise it's just a fancyed up troy built /mtd with a CC name stuck on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you seen the steel on it? It's a lot thicker than all the others. The engine is Ginormous too. Touch it and get back to me...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was shipped today. I saw that there are 2 versions of these HD models. Old and newer. Salesman said it will be the newer... It better be or it's not coming off the truck!

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
just another shitty mtd painted yellow with a ton of worthless gimmicks.
Pretty much says it all. They are pretty much an MTD. I think they are made or owned by MTD. MTD makes quite a few different variations under different names.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Pretty much says it all. They are pretty much an MTD. I think they are made or owned by MTD. MTD makes quite a few different variations under different names.
mtd purchased cub cadet in 1981 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTD_Products
up side of cub cadet is mtd uses it as the rolls versions adding more bling on the outside yet the same under the yellow paint. to sell in the box stores

·
Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
cub cadets made by mtd also show the fact that toro is having many models of machines made by mtd also as it shows in the lower quality of my new machine (In 2007, the low-end lawn and garden tractor product manufacturing was outsourced to MTD Products, to be sold at Home Depot stores)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toro_(company)
Toro mowers and riding mowers made by MTD, yes, I dont doubt that. But no Toro snowblowers are made by MTD. Although Toro did move their snowblower production to Mexico a few years ago, which has tarnished their snowblower reputation..although in fairness there is no evidece the Toro snowblower quality has actually decreased.

As for Cub Cadet and MTD, yes, its well known that Cub Cadet has been nothing but a "paper company" for decades now, and all Cub Cadet products are made by MTD, and are no different than any of the other MTD brands.

Scot

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
MTD is a much larger company than I realized. Thanks
MTD is huge. One big advantage they have is their parts fit many different machines, Thus they can get real real discounts on volume production in China. Keeping their costs low. Is MTD good or bad is matter of opinion. Not everyone can afford the best machine. Mtd parts are easy to get and most machines easy to work on. I ran MTD blowers for nearly 20 years. I had to have a few of them because they were always having break downs. Sometimes nothing serious but enough shut you down. So I just set that one aside and grabbed another to get finished and repair after the storm. Sometimes I would be down to the last one with fingers crossed in a major event. I switched to Hondas 5 years ago. My machines are well maintained, so usually my worst problem is a broken shear bolt that is jammed or the like. Run storm after storm with out a break down I just check and adjust etc between storms. Honda was the best move I ever made. No regrets.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I honestly believe that some of there products are good. I had a Craftsman blower for 18 years and not 1 problem. But when I retired I thought it was time to upgrade and I did but can not knock my old MTD built blower.

·
Registered
842 Posts
personally i do see a lot of MTD inside my new toro, put a new along side of a old one like a powershift, it's night and day cheaper, when i asked my local dealer he backed me up saying the models that also sell in the box store are built by, for, and he sure wasn't meaning only lawn mowers.

the new one? look it over. it's cheaper built, assembles just like a mtd. there is only 6 welded in nuts to hold the auger frame to the tractor,every thing else is spring clip nuts of the none threaded type. 1/4x 20 bolts or smaller in a clip used for plastic or thin sheet metal. the auger bearings are die cast not even brass oilite thou it has only one on the impeller input . like mtd the engine is made in china, it's not rebuild able, no part numbers for over sized pistons or a short block, again the local dealers call them throw away's .

whats happened is that well know phrase, OUT SOURCING!! cut the costs , big names? let some one else make it,sell it in a big box stores,that have lead the way for major mass marketing of lower grade machines, put dealers out of business, or like with CC just take a mtd add more bling paint it yellow.

then husqvarna isn't any better. they own https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husqvarna_Group and who also By the end of 2008, when Tecumseh shut down manufacturing operations related to its engine business the Peerless brand was acquired by Husqvarna Outdoor Power in February of 2009.
http://www.peerlessgear.com/node5384.aspx

·
Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
It's possible some Toro snowblowers are now made by MTD, we havent seen any hard evidence yet, but it could be happening..Briggs & Stratton was the first of the "traditional" builders to offer a 100% made in China snowblower in their lineup, happened last year (only one model so far, a low-end model) ..so, anything is possible.

Scot

·
Registered
842 Posts
i agree scot! what i'm trying to say is i see a lot of MTD designed and built parts inside,this toro, construction it's close to. with it's use of cheap clip in place speed nuts,

it's not something new, going on for a long time, i miss is having to go to a dealer to get a machine, knowing it's 100% set up right, not see it in a box store .where some one with no knowledge of mechanics throws it together failing to tighten the bolts up correctly,

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a Troy built 33" wide area mower a couple years ago. Same one also sold under the Cub cadet name. Perfect? No. Built like a tank? No. But it has not given me any trouble and represented a strong value.

I don't see why the snow blower couldn't represent the same value proposition if well cared for. While I agree buy once, cry once is usually the best approach, sometimes shorter term finances get a vote.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I don't care what anyone thinks about my new snow blower... I can only say that I shopped for almost a month for the best snow blower and I chose the Cub Cadet 3X 30" HD model. It has the thickest sheet metal, largest engine, most lighting and I felt that it was the best for my money.

My last blower, a Craftsman 28" lasted 12 years of hard labor. It had the thinnest sheet metal(same thickness as others made today) and it just rusted away. The engine however fires up on the first pull... every time. Even when I start it for the first snow. (May it rest in pieces)...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Nice blower! IMHO the HD model Cub Cadet rocks it out with the best of them at that price point. For me at near the same price point, the Toro Power Max HD 928 OHXE (28") 265cc is underpowered. The Ariens 24" Platinum SHO would be a nice choice also. All the talk about Honda, yes I'd like an HSS1332ATD please since the 28" Honda's have too many members who discuss clogging issues.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts