Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a Cub Cadet 524 SWE less then 10 months ago. Maybe ran it 6-8 times last winter. Got it out last week and started it, ran for a few minutes to make sure it was ready to go and turned it off. I walked by it today and its leaking oil from the base of the engine I think and not around the oil drain. Has anyone else seen this? Can't find receipt either. What would have caused an oil leak all of the sudden?

Photos Here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0qph51hmjy7w2b/IMG_5766.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4k8wv72zd9exb8/IMG_5765.JPG?dl=0

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Just to make sure are you sure all the oil port plugs on the engine are tight? The reason I ask is those Powemore engines sometimes have a dipstick fill point and other ports in case they are used for a different piece of equipment. Is it possibly leaking down from the valve cover, because leaking from the bottom unless the drain plug is loose is highly unlikely unless the engine was possibly pierced with a sharp object.

Regarding the loss of your receipt unless you paid cash for it or bought it privately from another person and not an authorized dealer, there should be a record of your purchase. I would contact your dealer or big box if it's not a simple fix it is certainly still under the 2-3 year manufacturer's warranty.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
jtclays made a good suggestion, check that as well. Can't hurt to make sure the drain tube is tight, it should be factory tight especially if the oil plug hasn't been removed yet, but you don't know for sure until you check. Good luck with this and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess what. I took it in and they didn't find any problems. They removed a couple covers and didn't see anything. They wiped off the oil, ran it for 40 minutes off and are giving it back to me. I have a feeling its a slow leak on the main case seal, probably at the base of the engine. Not the crank seal, not the oil drain tube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts