Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 8hp Cub cadet with a blown Briggs. I was wondering could one of the 6.5hp HF motors could run it or do you guys think that the only way to go is getting another 8hp motor on there? I don't care either way though I might get the Briggs cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
2,688 Posts
Flannelman

Without a little more info, it's just a swag. I've seen 7-8 HP engines on machines as small as 22" and as wide as 32" augers. I'd take a look at what comparable size machines carry and then see if there are complaints about being underpowered etc. I suspect if it's something like 26" or under, I'd guess it would probably be sufficient.

There are several people here that have repowered using the 6.5 HP H.F. motors and seem to like it. You might want to put some additional particulars on the blower so that a better comparison can be made.

Good luck.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I restored an old 80's Cub Cadet 8/26 which had no engine. The original engine was a 8 hp Tec with a 1" output shaft.

I first put a 6.5hp harbor freight engine on it and I had to make a bushing for the crankshaft since the 6.5hp engine has a 3/4" shaft. I also had to make up spacers about 1" think to raise the engine since the center line of the 6.5 engine was lower than the original engine.

After doing all of that work i was fortunate to locate a harbor freight 11hp engine which dropped right in without any modifications at all. Below is a link of the snow blower with the 11hp engine on it.

- The Best Snowblower & Lawnmower Forum - • Information

Here is the original link which shows the before and after with the 6.5hp engine.

- The Best Snowblower & Lawnmower Forum - • Information

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mines different than that. I picked it up tonight its 26" with roughly a 12in impeller. Though I also got a 5/24 MTD Snowflite that has a 14" impeller so go figure.

I read through your thread and saw the deal you got on the 11hp thats a steal. I looked and didn't see any 11hp's right now. I would perfer the 11hp or another 8hp. This one is last on my list right now as it looks like it will take the most $$ to get going.

·
Super Moderator
2,688 Posts
Repowering

I read through your thread and saw the deal you got on the 11hp thats a steal. I looked and didn't see any 11hp's right now. I would perfer the 11hp or another 8hp. This one is last on my list right now as it looks like it will take the most $$ to get going.
Sounds like you have time to wait and watch for the right motor to come along. I was able to pick up a 7 HP Tecumseh from a Toro snowblower 3 months ago for bottom feeder pricing. Spent some time going through it and it's in usable shape. If you can afford to wait and watch, I'm sure something will show up.

Good luck

·
Registered
756 Posts
Went by HF today, ad in the window - 11 HP engine for $249. Not a bad price if it lasts.
I believe that that engine is pull start only. If you are not in a hurry you can usually find the 11hp 12 volt electrics starts on ebay pretty cheap. The place that i got mine was a ebay seller with a name like taddwharehouse or something like that

good luck

carl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts