Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is the Cub Cadet 926 freebie I picked up .... was going to just save the new tires and engine as spare stock, until I made some adjustments and did some quick repairs and it worked great .... So I am dismantling it and giving it a paint job .... also new scraper bar, poly skids, new auger bushings.... welded the bucket today, already restored the very rusted rims ... ....work in progress, might be a keeper when I am done. :) ... The impeller bearing came off fine with some weasel **** and some easy tapping with some wedging. the actual bearing was fine, but soaking it in some synthetic oil until I reassemble it ... should last my lifetime ... :)

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Automotive design
Automotive tire Wheel Wood Yellow Motor vehicle
Pollinator Automotive tire Yellow Wood Arthropod
Motor vehicle Yellow Asphalt Vehicle Wood
Eye Wood Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system
Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Yellow
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Fluid Amber

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@cpchriste,

No, the bearing and shaft are fine, this is one of the offset chase bearings, which are actually centered but designed in that manner, which when used with the offset collar which locks in over the extended chase, it prevents the center (chase) of the bearing from spinning on the shaft .... the collar is not used or needed in this application

Automotive tire Rim Circle Automotive wheel system Metal

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@paulm12,

This will make my fourth Cub Cadet, as I also have a 24 and two 30 inch in my fleet. I will be selling some of them shortly, and expect them to go very quick, as I have them in great shape at very good prices ... :) .... it's just so hard to let them go after restoring/refurbishing them..... :)

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW, ... just to let anyone know, I was looking for the manuals to order some parts and called Cub Cadet .... got a nice gentleman on the phone, he pulled up all the manuals for this unit and sent me all four manuals in PDF format ... great customer service indeed. He also informed me it's a 1997 model, not that it matters.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do have a portable sand blaster I run off my compressor if needed, but most of this, if not all, will be done with the flap discs .....

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, they are my summer all around comfy Sanuk shoes .... actually, winter spring and fall as well now that you mention it. ... :)

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
LOL, I even got some thin sole material and some Barge adhesive, and resoled a couple pair already, as the soft sole on a couple I had worn down ... I just love these shoes, so comfy, that I want to get as much life as I can out of them.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
lol ....I have been busy doing tree work for my neighbors, as they had limbs come down ... I did get a chance to paint the augers today though .... and took apart the impeller for a good cleaning, prep, prime and paint, which it is actually in good shape besides the surface rust. I fixed someone's attempt also at putting an impeller rubber flap assists on, and will reinstall them when all painted, as these Cubs are notorious for a wide impeller to housing gap.

Plant Automotive tire Tree Grass Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Wood Grass Plant Gas

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
"What type of poly skids?"

Font Automotive lighting Auto part Circle Fashion accessory

"do you do any bodywork filling (??) after the sanding?"

No need to, everything cleaned up nice and smooth with the flap disc .... just surface rust.

LOL .... I suppose if I had one that was in an accident, and I had to beat back/straighten a fender or two, I would do some body work ... :)

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yeah, I don't run steel on any of my blowers anymore ... they always left rust marks and dragged by friction terribly.

They poly one's glide like butter, no rust or dragging. On these MTD (Cub, etc.) larger side bottom buckets, I like the longer poly for rigidity.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts