Snowblower Forum banner

Cub older 926 restore ......

5K views 53 replies 14 participants last post by  Oneacer 
#1 ·
Well, this is the Cub Cadet 926 freebie I picked up .... was going to just save the new tires and engine as spare stock, until I made some adjustments and did some quick repairs and it worked great .... So I am dismantling it and giving it a paint job .... also new scraper bar, poly skids, new auger bushings.... welded the bucket today, already restored the very rusted rims ... ....work in progress, might be a keeper when I am done. :) ... The impeller bearing came off fine with some weasel **** and some easy tapping with some wedging. the actual bearing was fine, but soaking it in some synthetic oil until I reassemble it ... should last my lifetime ... :)

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Automotive design
Automotive tire Wheel Wood Yellow Motor vehicle
Pollinator Automotive tire Yellow Wood Arthropod
Motor vehicle Yellow Asphalt Vehicle Wood
Eye Wood Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system
Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Yellow
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Fluid Amber

See less See more
#40 ·
"What type of poly skids?"

Font Automotive lighting Auto part Circle Fashion accessory

"do you do any bodywork filling (??) after the sanding?"

No need to, everything cleaned up nice and smooth with the flap disc .... just surface rust.

LOL .... I suppose if I had one that was in an accident, and I had to beat back/straighten a fender or two, I would do some body work ... :)

#41 ·
I prefer the metal full length skids for these machines. The poly ones don't ad nearly as much rigidity to the bucket as the metal ones. Those do at least look like they are better than the short ones that were likely on it when you got it
Automotive tire Arthropod Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

Tire Wheel Snow Vehicle Automotive tire

#42 ·
Yeah, I don't run steel on any of my blowers anymore ... they always left rust marks and dragged by friction terribly.

They poly one's glide like butter, no rust or dragging. On these MTD (Cub, etc.) larger side bottom buckets, I like the longer poly for rigidity.

#43 ·
They poly one's glide like butter,
they also bend like butter lol. like i said steel is preffer for the rigidity it add to the bucket. the ones i posted a pic of came on a machine i bought for $20. they are still on it but clearly the previous own hit enough to bend both the skids and bucket. haven't had that issue with steel skids yet. all machines i have had with steel skids were still straight even if the buckets were rusted out.

#50 ·
Looks good but I wouldn't call it a keeper. It should perform the exact same as the other cub cadet that you have. Most mtd built machines are nearly identical as far as the bucket/auger assembly goes. The bigger differences are in the tractor end of things and whatever options it has.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.