Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My compact TroyBilt has a ~9.5" plastic impeller (p/n 731-04218B) I believe hinders its performance, especially when clearing heavier junk left by the snowplow at the bottom of the driveway.

I don't know of a direct replacement steel impeller and am curious about designing and building my own (designing the parts in CAD out of sheetmetal and welding it together...) Has anyone here ever done something like that?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Its thicker than sheet metal it could be 14 gauge or 1/8" steel. It can be done, with a lot of work, hub from 3/4" pipe maybe, must be fairly well balanced. There must be one out there somewhere that is close enough to be workable. Slight changes in power requirements might be a problem. Probably not be the first time that someone had to make an emergency replacement after trying to blow a brick, or something as bad. Good luck, And Merry Christmas. To All.
Sid

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
I've changed impellers but it was one for one. Having said that, I won't swear to it but I think some of the 5 hp Craftsman units from the 90's may have a 9.5" impeller. If that's correct, you might have to redrill the hole for the roll pins to match your shaft but that should be doable.

Now some other options. Many of the Craftsman's have the impeller that bolts onto an impeller shaft hub. You might be able to take one, remove the vanes using heat, rig a circular pivot and plasma torch the impeller diameter to what you need then repunch the holes and tack weld the vanes back on.

Just some random thoughts.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well, there are these. I did the CAD work. A fab shop had the hub machined, did the laser cuts, forming and welding then I finished them. No special tooling required. It's pricey without volume but you sound like an insider. Others have done it as well.

Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts