Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up this cute baby 2 stager from a member on here to give her another chance and a brand new lease on life. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be as small as it is but I love it. This machine will be perfect for tight areas. Currently on loan to my friend since he's blower less at the moment but I plan to go through this machine mechanically and bring her up to snuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Look at that cast iron crankcase.

Are those bolts as shear pins?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
the only thing don't like about these little sweethearts is the two shaft engine...it limits my hotrodding them......

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the only thing don't like about these little sweethearts is the two shaft engine...it limits my hotrodding them......
I was thinking about hotrodding this one but the original engine runs so smooth and flawlessly that I'm just going to leave well enough alone. Just went over most of the mechanicals and the machine seems pretty solid. Can't wait to try it out in the snow.

Anyone have any recommendations on what to do about the bald tires? The tires are quite small and I can't think of anything that would fit these rims properly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a nice little machine. What's the HP on it? With a small bucket like that the engine will rarely be overtaxed.
The engine appears to be a 4HP, definitely made by Tecumseh. The impeller appears to spin at a lower RPM compared to my larger machines. Four foward speeds, one reverse. Speeds 3 and 4 make you jog along side the machines and 1 seems to be appropriate for moderate snow fall. As much as I'd love to try this machine out, my friend is going to get to use it before I do.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Check to see if they have a three bolt pattern. Some did. If it does you can use the same tires from a 10000 series. I have do it before.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check to see if they have a three bolt pattern. Some did. If it does you can use the same tires from a 10000 series. I have do it before.
The wheels definitely have 3 bolts each. I was thinking about getting another set of air filled tires and rims but I'm afraid of that lifting the rear of the machine up too much. These wheels have a really small diameter, I want to say 10 or 12 inches at most, including the tire.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
nice score and good looking machine. before I got my second 521 I was looking for aa ariens like yours but couldn't find one, here is a pic of my '86 521 after blowing 10 - 15" of snow yesterday

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a cute little machine as well. I did not realize Toro made anything this small that wasn't one of those single stagers. How well do these small machines work in deep snow? I feel like being only 4 horsepower, I'm going to have to use the first speed for anything above 8 inches. 2, 3 seem a bit fast and 4 is practically light-speed.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
The wheels definitely have 3 bolts each. I was thinking about getting another set of air filled tires and rims but I'm afraid of that lifting the rear of the machine up too much. These wheels have a really small diameter, I want to say 10 or 12 inches at most, including the tire.
It's not that bad. I think it actually helps from keeping it from riding up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's not that bad. I think it actually helps from keeping it from riding up.
Do you have any recommendations on what I should be looking for? I can't seem to find any rims and tires that aren't a similar size. I also don't want the machine to move too fast due to larger tires. The first forward speed is perfect the way it is.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
That's a cute little machine as well. I did not realize Toro made anything this small that wasn't one of those single stagers. How well do these small machines work in deep snow? I feel like being only 4 horsepower, I'm going to have to use the first speed for anything above 8 inches. 2, 3 seem a bit fast and 4 is practically light-speed.
my ( and all ) toro 521's only have three speeds plus reverse. I usually run them in third but we have some hard snow at the EOD that I've been blowing in second gear

1 - 20 of 27 Posts