Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My old craftsman snowblower just blew the engine. I am going out tomorrow to buy a snowblower.
Price is not really an issue.
We just had the biggest snowfall I have ever seen in my 47 years on the planet LOL!
I am looking at the Honda, Husqvarna and the Arien top end 2 stage snowblowers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Well, I can speak for Honda's, and believe that they make a fine machine, pricey, but fine.

With regards to Ariens, there is a large loyal following here, and many are quite content.

The Husqvarna's are not as plentiful, and folks are kind of split on them.

Have you considered Toro, and have you looked into the dealer support for any of the brands?

And have you considered a predator transplant for your old machine? Then you could have a back up, or something that could resolve your problem.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I drool over the Honda and I do like the Ariens quite a bit, but I personally don't care for the other choice too much from what I have seen, that said I have not looked at the hi end machines and would like to know more. ;) I'll still vote Honda for what it's worth. Or Yamaha of course... LOVE those but depending on your location (??) they may be easy (Canada) or tough to find.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the fast reply. I live on the East Coast of Canada - Prince Edward Island. We just received 80cm of snow with 13 foot drifts!
My driveway and street are not passable. In fact the whole city is shut down.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Welcome to the forum'from the Keystomne Stat. Hope you are happy with whatever machine you choose...

·
Registered
657 Posts
My heavily biased opinion after owning a Husqvarna for 4 years....Ariens Pro or go home.
I watched a couple vids on Youtube of Yamahas in action and it has had an influence on my thoughts. They are lucky in Canada to have the option, if they have the money. Nothing at all against Ariens, they are great machines but after seeing those Yamy's I'm hooked even though I have no need for that capable of a machine with my size yard. :cool:

·
Registered
260 Posts
You have some great choices. But I just can't see why Ariens hadn't updated their control to rotate the chute. That alone keeps me away. I love my 26" Toro with the Quickstick.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Those Yamaha machines look so well engineered...right up until I see no option for wheels and motors of significant displacement.

Looking at videos of the machines working the motors seem to be working excessively hard, and that's a bulky machine for small motors. I do love the chute, it appears to be lined with Teflon and I've thought of doing that to mine. I have some thin sheets of the material.

I think a track drive is great when you have wide open spaces and don't have to make a lot of turns. And if I had that I'd just get a plow and be done in 1/10th the time. While I wish they sold Yamaha machines here so I could get a better feel for them than YouTube videos and photos, the price/performance just doesn't seem all that attractive.

The important thing is that YOU like it, and it does what you need. I'll try to stay happy with my poor little Ariens.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Welcome to the forum Stephen :D:D

Since you said money isn't a consideration I'd go and try out a Honda and a Yamaha and decide which you like more and how busy there service departments are. It's nice to have a dealer close but it's more important to find out if their service department keeps up with it's customers needs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The higher end Husqvarna's come with hydrostatic transmissions like the Honda models, for significantly less cost, if that's a consideration for you.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
That would be a higher end unit and a huge step up from your old Craftsman.
The headlight on that one even looks like it would push the light out front instead of up into your eyes like some do.
Heated grips are a nice addition too.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hello all. My old craftsman snowblower just blew the engine. I am going out tomorrow to buy a snowblower.
Price is not really an issue.
We just had the biggest snowfall I have ever seen in my 47 years on the planet LOL!
I am looking at the Honda, Husqvarna and the Arien top end 2 stage snowblowers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

We have a small but good Husqvarna dealer in a nearby town. I talked to him about the new hi-end 300 series with the 10yr warrantee. He said he hasn't got enough feed back to recommend this series but that the motors are OK. Ariens and Toro also get good motor reviews Toro has one model however with a Briggs and Stratton engine . The new Briggs and Stratton engines get the poorest reviews. Design features on the Toro get good reviews. Honda gets good reviews, in my area Honda service and parts could be a problem, Yamaha gets good reviews. I'm interested in the market about the new machines as mine is very old, has problems and without electiic strart .
Good luck with your decision. Please let know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased a new Husqvarna ST327P the beginning of this season and my father purchased the ST330P. We live between Cape Cod and Boston, MA so we have had plenty of snow to use these things in, two 20"+ storms. I will say both have performed beautifully and we are both very happy to have purchased them. I love the hydro transmission with trigger turn, easy to adjust chute controls and toasty warm hand warmers. For the price, I felt they were a great buy with the hydrostatic transmissions. If money were no object I may have gone with a Honda, but now that I have this one I would not have paid the extra money.

Anyone have any questions let me know.

Ohh one other thing, the LED lights on these things are great they throw plenty of light and you can easily see where you are headed on either side of the bucket...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Those Yamaha machines look so well engineered...right up until I see no option for wheels and motors of significant displacement.

Looking at videos of the machines working the motors seem to be working excessively hard, and that's a bulky machine for small motors. I do love the chute, it appears to be lined with Teflon and I've thought of doing that to mine. I have some thin sheets of the material.

I think a track drive is great when you have wide open spaces and don't have to make a lot of turns. And if I had that I'd just get a plow and be done in 1/10th the time. While I wish they sold Yamaha machines here so I could get a better feel for them than YouTube videos and photos, the price/performance just doesn't seem all that attractive.

The important thing is that YOU like it, and it does what you need. I'll try to stay happy with my poor little Ariens.
There sure isn't anything wrong with your Ariens.. it's better than what I got but mine keeps my driveway clear anyhow :) I had just pointed out the Yamy' because he said price wasn't an issue :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just baught a hs928tcd and absolutly love it, had a smaller hs624 before. Here is a little video we did this week end, it will give you a idea how well those machine perform, this is my 928 but imagine if you buy the 1332.:eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts