Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my mind set on a Platinum 24, but the soonest it looks like I can get one would be March 2022.

I could get a Deluxe 24 in a couple of weeks..

What would you guys recommend? Is it worth waiting for the Platinum?

I'm in the Indianapolis area, so that's the amount of snow I'd be dealing with.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
I don't know how much snow the Indianapolis area gets.

If you get 100" of mostly wet snow a year get the Platinum, if you get 30" of mostly light fluffy snow get the Deluxe.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Who told you March?
I agree with Ziggy. If you get occasional 12-16” snowfalls, Or regularly get wet sloppy snow, then the Platinum shines. I have a 2019 Platinum SHO, and I love it. If you get frequent 6” of fluffy snow and that’s about it, then the SHO Platinum is probably overkill. Here’s a link to me using mine in 14” of kind of medium snow for comparison.

·
Registered
Simlicity 860EI, Ariens 22xxx, Powerlite
398 Posts
A bird in hand .... :)
Seriously, I don't think Ariens sells the Delux 24 so that it can suck.
:pIs more better, um, I guess so but lots of people on here talk about how great their 50 year old machines with 5, 6, 7 HP L-heads work. GOT in training !

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'd rather a deluxe than a shovel, they are still a full size frame machine, with a smaller less expensive engine and options. Tough choice, in ct and i personally I wouldnt go below a platinum myself.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree with Ziggy. If you get occasional 12-16” snowfalls, Or regularly get wet sloppy snow, then the Platinum shines. I have a 2019 Platinum SHO, and I love it. If you get frequent 6” of fluffy snow and that’s about it, then the SHO Platinum is probably overkill. Here’s a link to me using mine in 14” of kind of medium snow for comparison.
That thing is a beast! It sounds like it barely is ever “on the governor.”

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
A bird in hand .... :)
Seriously, I don't think Ariens sells the Delux 24 so that it can suck.
:pIs more better, um, I guess so but lots of people on here talk about how great their 50 year old machines with 5, 6, 7 HP L-heads work. GOT in training !
but it does for the a 4 foot plow pile or heavy wet snow
they built it to compete vs cheap blowers to make money
i would shovel for 3 winters to wait for a 24 sho or a 30 inch sho
24 deluxe is a chevette
24 sho is a corvette
my 27 414cc is dodge viper
if are young wait

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but it does for the a 4 foot plow pile or heavy wet snow
they built it to compete vs cheap blowers to make money
i would shovel for 3 winters to wait for a 24 sho or a 30 inch sho
24 deluxe is a chevette
24 sho is a corvette
my 27 414cc is dodge viper
if are young wait
Thanks for the advice... My mind is made up now.. Platinum for sure.. have to decide on 24 vs 30 now :)

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Buffalo, NY and in 2019 I was trying to decide between the Platinum & Deluxe "24" for my 1st ever snow blower. I ended up going with the Ariens Platinum 24 SHO (24") 369cc Two-Stage Snow Blower 920150 and it has performed well for me in the last two winters. So far, more than enough power and a joy to use.

I don't know if I would want to wait to March and shovel; so I would check a few dealers and see if I could put a deposit down to guarantee the machine goes to you when it arrives. A saw a friend in Home Depot who was purchasing a Toro Single Stage and the salesman said they could not keep the blowers in stock.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
The Deluxe is more than enough machine for 26" of annual snowfall.

A good single stage might even be a better choice, at least for 90% of the time, depending on size and slope of driveway.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I found a local dealer who can get me the Platinum 24 here in a few weeks, so I’m good to go.

It might be overkill, but I’d rather have too much power than not enough.
smart guy over 20 yrs its not even 20 bucks a yr
not much you can buy today that will last that long
2500 washer 5 years
1500 dollar tv 1 to 6 yrs
20 bucks a yr to have a big grin priceless

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the advice... My mind is made up now.. Platinum for sure.. have to decide on 24 vs 30 now :)

Thanks all!
Good choice. I was lucky enough to score a 28 Deluxe+ with the 414cc engine in 2015. Its a beast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live outside of Buffalo, N.Y. and have an ST824 that I bought so long ago that I can't remember what year it was. I've used the crap out of it, but have taken care of it and done the maintenance and repairs that were needed along the way. It is now going to my son's house so he can keep his property clean this winter. It starts with 1 or 2 pulls and runs like new. I can't understand why anyone would want more than that. It seems like we now live in a world where everyone has to have the biggest and most expensive "whatever". Buy a machine that will clear your snow and put the extra cash aside for something else. Maybe something special for your wife.
Duane

1 - 20 of 22 Posts