Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Servicing a Deluxe 28, and found NO Grease Zerks on the Rakes. There is No Excuse For That.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Jack there is nothing to grease in there, I believe all the newer models have a short shaft coming out of the gearbox and supported on the ends by the bucket, Thus no need for zurks on the auger. Big cost savings for them I’m guessing.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would explain That. I've not yet had to do a newer Gearbox. Thanks for the Info.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I’ve taken the gearbox out but have yet to need to open one up, I like the full length shafts myself but I own 2 personal blowers with the new gearboxes

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Stub shafts:surprise:

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Then no shear pins? Or is there one close to the box?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Closer to the box

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think my 2015 has Zerks - very close to the gearbox.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Servicing a Deluxe 28, and found NO Grease Zerks on the Rakes. There is No Excuse For That.
I looked on the Ariens website and a frontal view of the deluxe shows the grease zerks and shear bolt between the gearbox and the first support bar on left and right side. The zerk is at 90 degrees to the shear bolt and outboard of it. That is the same setup as my 2015 Platinum SHO.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nothing on this one.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
:) ... I'll take the well built, solid, older Ariens any day of the week ....

Of course, my 26 inch 7100 Yardman is my beast.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just de-summerized my 2019 Pro32 (winter's coming early this year, got our second 5 inches of snow yesterday!) and its auger shaft has FOUR zerks, two on each side. Made me very happy to see those.

I summerized last spring, stored indoors over the summer, just filled up the gas tank and she started on the very first pull! Now that's how things are supposed to work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There are zerks . They are behind the support bracket closest to the gear box. The bracket is blocking the zerks and the shear bolts in that pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Saw a Deluxe 28 and Deluxe 30 at Home Depot, both have zerks.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Some MTD products I looked at recently had no grease fittings, but there was so much slop between the shaft and auger, probable would never rust on anyway

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some MTD products I looked at recently had no grease fittings, but there was so much slop between the shaft and auger, probable would never rust on anyway
Not sure about the "New" ones, but the MTD's usually have those Plastic Pieces on the Rakes to keep them from Rusting. Does Help when you gotta tear 'em apart.

6-0

·
Registered
338 Posts
Didn't Ariens experiment with using short shafts in certain years/models? As the shaft was only about 1/2 the width of the auger and they used a yellow chromate coating (thing that's what it was, could be mistaken) and claimed they didn't need zerks. Think they also used anti-seize on the shafts.

Not trying to hijack the thread, didn't Ariens use 4-zerks in their older models and only two in the current crop? Wouldn't four (two each side) insure better coverage? Does the grease actually squeeze all the way to the bearing end like it does at the gearbox end?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Just periodically pull the shear bolt/pin and spin the auger .... if there is any doubt for anyone.

If its tight , just spray some cable/chain lube in there, or Trizol, or whatever you have if no grease fittings.

As that is cheap insurance, rather than repairing a gearbox.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Didn't Ariens experiment with using short shafts in certain years/models? As the shaft was only about 1/2 the width of the auger and they used a yellow chromate coating (thing that's what it was, could be mistaken) and claimed they didn't need zerks. Think they also used anti-seize on the shafts.

Not trying to hijack the thread, didn't Ariens use 4-zerks in their older models and only two in the current crop? Wouldn't four (two each side) insure better coverage? Does the grease actually squeeze all the way to the bearing end like it does at the gearbox end?
IDEngineer says his newer 32" Pro has the 4 zerks so maybe it is a function of shaft width rather than age of unit as to how many zerks there are.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts