Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 to 5 year old Deluxe 28 with the standard engine. I have been having a problem with the engine revving out of control. The first time it happened was when I first started it one morning. I hit the off button and let sit. for 3 minutes the restarted and it ran fine. Couple days later, I had been blowing for about an hour and was going thru an area of deep snow. The engine was working hard, as I moved into shallower snow the RPMs started to rise and the motor started revving very high. Hit the kill switch and then restarted. The RPMs would not come up to there usual level. Shut down and let set while I had lunch, When I restarted after lunch everything seemed fine for the rest of the session. This morning when I first started it the engine revved at a very high RPM. When I restarted it later it stumbled for a while then seemed to run fine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
It's possible that the governor linkage iced up, or is otherwise not moving/working properly.

I'm not familiar with your engine, but the governor linkage would be on or near the carb, and would likely have something connecting to an arm that comes out of the engine itself. The arm coming out of the engine would typically increase/reduce tension on a spring, which moves the actual throttle plate.

It could also be something more serious, like failed components within the engine that move the governor arm.

But I'd start with the easy stuff. Try to find the governor linkage. With the engine off, see if you can move it back and forth. If something is dragging, or iced up, see if you can lubricate it, bring the machine somewhere warm so it can thaw any ice, etc.

Letting it rev too high can damage/destroy the engine, if something lets go, so be careful of letting it spin faster than it typically would.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's possible that the governor linkage iced up, or is otherwise not moving/working properly.

I'm not familiar with your engine, but the governor linkage would be on or near the carb, and would likely have something connecting to an arm that comes out of the engine itself. The arm coming out of the engine would typically increase/reduce tension on a spring, which moves the actual throttle plate.

It could also be something more serious, like failed components within the engine that move the governor arm.

But I'd start with the easy stuff. Try to find the governor linkage. With the engine off, see if you can move it back and forth. If something is dragging, or iced up, see if you can lubricate it, bring the machine somewhere warm so it can thaw any ice, etc.

Letting it rev too high can damage/destroy the engine, if something lets go, so be careful of letting it spin faster than it typically would.

Red
Thanks for the information

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The governor shaft and arm is under the fuel tank. The linkages and springs will come from there to the top of the carb, or basically under the flat metal where your choke knob is. If you take the carb shroud off, be careful of the kill and key wiring, just go slow and take pic, to remember where they go, the primer hose also. Is it stored outdoors?

It's stored in my unheated garage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts