Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have an deluxe 28 921035, I found that I have a slack on my swing plate. The black shack going side to side is moving. It's the shaft that have a cutter pin on the right side. is that normal ? Thank you

·
Registered
338 Posts
About how much slop are you seeing? A jiggle, 1/4", 1" or more? Ftont to back or side to side?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can move it side to side with my hand by between 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. It make a metal flaking noise with the engine is running.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Sounds like the spring to return the clutch driven plate is not working properly. There should not be any play in the clutch plate, the spring should keep the mechanism tight. The Ariens manual says to take out all slack in the cable. I am not familiar with your model, but it sounds similar to mine. The attached pics show the location of the spring.

The pic showing the outside chassis of mine has the spring fixed end a couple of inches forward and an inch lower than the black clutch indicator in the clutch applied position. The other pic shows the clutch driven plate with the black apply rod with the clutch cable and retaining clip and the spring.

I can probably find the instructions for the clutch cable adjustment if that is your problem.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If i understand it's because my clutch cable is not tight enough ? The clutch indicator need to only touch partially the forward portion ? Can it be the spring that retain the clutch plate ?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
There are a few springs in the drive setup on that machine, as well as other factors.

You will have to take a closer inspection and address the schematic for that unit.

The drive plate should not be moving loosely a 1/4 inch in any direction in my opinion, and I don know what metal flaking is? If you mean metal scraping while the engine is running, that is not normal, and should be easy to tell on inspection where that is coming from, whether it be from a pulley, misaligned bracket, etc.....

My guess on the scraping while engine is running would be the drive idler pulley, its spring, or the bracket for it is misaligned. If not that, then you have to inspect further into the drive plate setup.

Without inspecting the machine, hard to tell.

·
Registered
994 Posts
If i understand it's because my clutch cable is not tight enough ? The clutch indicator need to only touch partially the forward portion ? Can it be the spring that retain the clutch plate ?
I looked at the video that you provided in your following post to this one. The indicator shows the spring is working correctly to move the swing plate to the clutch release position (black indicator in forward part of opening). When you apply the clutch the indicator moves back and nearly touches the rear of the opening, some views seem to show more rearward travel than others. So the friction disc is worn but not yet worn out (worn out when indicator touches rear of opening but still some rubber on disc). Cable adjustment seems ok from what I can see, but you should not see any droop in cable, snug but not tight.

The side movement on the shaft that holds the clutch drive plate seems more than I remember, but it is just free movement between two retaining pins so not critical at all. The critical aspect is the drive plate attachment to that shaft, there should not be any side movement of the driven plate assembly on that shaft. If there is movement then you may be missing a spacer on the shaft between chassis and the mounting for the plate for alignment on the side you are moving. I will have to check my machine to see what movement I have as a check for you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thank you I will wait for you to check your machine
My machine behaves the same way that yours does and makes the same noise when moving the shaft as yours does. The mounting for the drive clutch assembly can also move about the same 1/8". What keeps the drive clutch assembly in place is the belt tension. I would check the drive belt for wear and the idler wheel that puts tension on the belt as having good bearings and the long spring from the idler pulley mounting bolt to the chassis as having good tension. When the clutch applies it angles the drive plate assembly slightly, so more of an angle when the friction disc is worn that will cause the belt to move sideways on the tensioner pulley. That could cause an oscillation in the belt travel if alignment with tensioner pulley is pushed against the pulley sidewall. The crank drive pulley for the wheel drive belt can be adjusted using 1" bore (depending on crankshaft diameter) washers from Ariens if out of alignment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So I changed my belt and my drive disc and it solve the problem. I posted some picture if someone can check if I re installed everything correctly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts