Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2011 with the lock out turn. It failed, broke after 11 years. Local shop removed it to create power to both. one year later, to the day repair broke. Now 1, right wheel power. Question can it be used , on light duty, flat areas till repair made. Mechanism for lock out removed. Have parts ( trigger, cable etc. stored)

Attachments

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could you give any more details? i don't know what they repair was but i hope to .i'm handy with tools etc. was so frustrated , disappointed with the short lived design. Happy shop was able effect a repair.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this the mechanism that had a handle to squeeze (similar to a bicycle brake lever) that was under the left grip of the blower?
yes. all removed D/T failure to engage multi times. Shop states stub axle ( left) side has splines. likely splines wore out. waiting on shop to advise part cost, etc. No other problems. unit bought new 2011

· Registered
1,498 Posts
I have 2 28" Ariens wheel locks fail like that. On both of them It turned out to be that both of the mechanisms were rusted locked up. after cleaning both and getting the rust off the shaft I put anti-seize on both blowers and now this winter both have worked perfect. One lever click unlocks the LH wheel and another pull then my machines go 1ft and the LH wheel is locked.. Flip you machine over in the garage and pull the belly pan to inspect it to see if it's just binding up.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 2 28" Ariens wheel locks fail like that. On both of them It turned out to be that both of the mechanisms were rusted locked up. after cleaning both and getting the rust off the shaft I put anti-seize on both blowers and now this winter both have worked perfect. One lever click unlocks the LH wheel and another pull then my machines go 1ft and the LH wheel is locked.. Flip you machine over in the garage and pull the belly pan to inspect it to see if it's just binding up.
I hear you. mine was not frozen / rusted A poor design. Unit is 2011 model. Suffice to say solid axles old style best IMO. Thank you for your comments

· Registered
1,498 Posts
I hear you. mine was not frozen / rusted A poor design. Unit is 2011 model. Suffice to say solid axles old style best IMO. Thank you for your comments
You are welcome. That is the same era as my 2 Ariens are. You are right, it is a poor design for sure. I like my Yard Machines 28 with their auto lock much better. I would still take the pan off and look at what you have, it is a pretty simple device.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are welcome. That is the same era as my 2 Ariens are. You are right, it is a poor design for sure. I like my Yard Machines 28 with their auto lock much better. I would still take the pan off and look at what you have, it is a pretty simple device.
i have taken pan off many times i know what it looks like. As I wrote in first post. The handle etc.. removed Auto lock was removed 1/2022. likely splines on stub axle wore out. I fully expect unit to last 5+ years more. Oil. changed yearly and all parts needing lube done yearly if not more. Augers greased without and with shear pins ,augers spun forward and back. I installed fuel strainer to cut down on debris, sediment etc. Bit of Sea foam added as well.

· Registered
394 Posts
i have taken pan off many times i know what it looks like. As I wrote in first post. The handle etc.. removed Auto lock was removed 1/2022. likely splines on stub axle wore out. I fully expect unit to last 5+ years more. Oil. changed yearly and all parts needing lube done yearly if not more. Augers greased without and with shear pins ,augers spun forward and back. I installed fuel strainer to cut down on debris, sediment etc. Bit of Sea foam added as well.

take it apart.

post pics.

splines worn out......PROVE IT.

· Registered
394 Posts
I thought the splines looked wore out on my Deluxe 28, then I took the shaft to the wire wheel and cleaned all the crap off now it all looked good. Added anti-seize and the darn thing has worked great ever since.
of course.

it aint a 3500lb mustang with a big block and a stick to wear out/break a splined shaft.

my gooodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts