Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold a blower to a guy last Dec. and it broke the pin in bolt in the gear as he locked in the one wheel wrong and put pressure on it and busted the bolt so the machine would not drive. Now he texted me and said it did that again so this time I put in a new bolt and welded the gear to the axle shaft. I know what if it has to come apart, we too bad it was a free repair. I did this as I am not a seller that peddles junk machines but the guy wanted me to store the blower until this Nov. I told him it was a $1 charge per day until he picks it up. Funny thing he showed up right after I called him and pick it up. The guy can't bitch as he was not charged anything but next time he pays big time. I had an hour into both repairs so I'm good with the freebie.

·
Premium GOT Member
9,812 Posts
"No good deed goes unpunished"

I do free repairs if it's an easy 20 minute or less repair. If I sold it I will replace a broken cable, belt for free. ( only happened once in last 6 years ). Usually it's an adjustment or a flooded engine .

I'm pretty upfront with people about picking up their blowers when i'm done. no storage area. One guy left his here from 2=8pm on a simple welding job after I told him it would be ready at 2pm.I had NO ROOM in garage for it. I messaged and called 3-4 times with no response. Had to lock it up OUTSIDE and we could not leave house even though wife and I had plans that afternoon.

He and his wife shows up at 8pm knocking on door and giggling . They were either high or slighlty drunk. I was NOT happy. This was a FREE repair. I unlocked the blower and told him NEVER to contact me again. I threw him out of my group and blocked him on FB. He lives right up the street from me but I don't care.

From their reaction they had no clue.....

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I had a 68 Triumph Bonneville 650 motor that was bored out by the former owner at a shop to 699.
I bought the scooter, it needed rings and valves. ( I was told) by the same mechanic who bored the motor out.
I took the motor off the frame and brought it to him.
It sat in his shop 6 months! He said he was waiting for the parts to come from England. This was in the later 70's.
The day I was heading down the shore in my van for 2 weeks with my boat on the back he called and said it was done.
I said I was just heading out for 2 weeks vacation and would pick it up as soon as I returned.
He said he would have to charge me storage! HUH? he could not keep it for 2 more weeks! ? I had paid in full in advance.

Charge me storage! :rolleyes:
I called a buddy up to drive me there, I flung open his door ,found my engine and just about carried it out with one hand!
He was following me apologizing, he said he didn't know I was leaving right away as I TOLD HIM!
I told him to go uck himself and I would never use or refer him to anyone.
He had it 6 months waiting for parts?

Reactions: Johnny G1

·
Premium GOT Member
9,812 Posts
I had a 68 Triumph Bonneville 650 motor that was bored out by the former owner at a shop to 699.
I bought the scooter, it needed rings and valves. ( I was told) by the same mechanic who bored the motor out.
I took the motor off the frame and brought it to him.
It sat in his shop 6 months! He said he was waiting for the parts to come from England. This was in the later 70's.
The day I was heading down the shore in my van for 2 weeks with my boat on the back he called and said it was done.
I said I was just heading out for 2 weeks vacation and would pick it up as soon as I returned.
He said he would have to charge me storage! HUH? he could not keep it for 2 more weeks! ? I had paid in full in advance.

Charge me storage! :rolleyes:
I called a buddy up to drive me there, I flung open his door ,found my engine and just about carried it out with one hand!
He was following me apologizing, he said he didn't know I was leaving right away as I TOLD HIM!
I told him to go uck himself and I would never use or refer him to anyone.
He had it 6 months waiting for parts?
y

·
Premium GOT Member
9,812 Posts
I deleted my original replay and had to leave at least one symbol........:cool:

BTW I never pay anyone upfront. Actually I never pay anyone. I do everything myself.
Except had to have some tree work done last summer. $2000....ouch.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I fell a couple trees awhile back .... Maple, cut it up and brought to the curb, gone in a couple days ....

·
Premium GOT Member
9,812 Posts
I fell a couple trees awhile back .... Maple, cut it up and brought to the curb, gone in a couple days ....
I dont think you can cut down 75' foot high 100 year old lodgepole pines that are close to buildings......

geesus

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Yeah, if I had 100-year-old pines up near a building I would have paid a tree service to remove them as well ... no one around here wants pine, but I imagine they milled those big boys.

:)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The guy really wants to give me something for the work but I said no, that way he can't sue me as would tell the judge it was a charity case, lol. Karma came back a couple of days later, I found a free giant saws all and a Poulan chain saw. Sawsall works perfect and after a carb clean and adjustment I have great chain saw that works perfect.

·
Premium GOT Member
9,812 Posts
I charge double for r-edmeck fixes since you have to undo the red-neck fix before you can fix it right.

Funny I never see those people again which is why I do that in the first place.

Reactions: Auger1

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I charge double for r-edmeck fixes since you have to undo the red-neck fix before you can fix it right.

Funny I never see those people again which is why I do that in the first place.
He won't be back for the gear bold breaking again as I welded the gear to the axle shaft and my welder is one big SOB welder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts