Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought it from Amazon for $35.00 and put some supplied reflective tape on engine pulley, the Tach showed 3558 rpm for the 11hp Tec full throttle. Seems to be exact and I love to buy small toys like that, beats the hassle to bring it to small engine shop + the cost. Last year I also bought a Lazer temperature digital meter, it's very handy at this time of the year to find outside air leaks in the outside walls near doors and windows. I tend to buy these on the premise I save in the end. Can be used anywhere you can charge beer money at friends.;)

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Thank you for the excellent review. Some people buy tools and use them once because they are specialized for a particular job, the temp sensor seems to have multiple uses. :D

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure you will read the instructions but make sure you are just a couple feet from where you will point it normally the belt pulley.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Instructions? You read those? Haha! Just kidding, that's the first thing i do after opening the box... except for when i used to put furniture together for my brother.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
"Instructions, we need no stinking instructions". If all else fails - read the instructions. :D

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
It's likely a "laser" tachometer and an "infrared" temperature sensor. A lazer is what they use in Sci-Fi movies, just sayin' :rolleyes:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just got my new toy today. Can't wait to try it out. Should be good to put that reflective tape on the belt pulley coming out of the engine?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got my new toy today. Can't wait to try it out. Should be good to put that reflective tape on the belt pulley coming out of the engine?
Yes that's the one and put your lazer less than 2 feet from the pulley when reading. Good Luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes ... but wait until it get dark. Otherwise your lazer will not "see" the piece of tape on the pulley.
If you have a garage, you could warm up the snowblower outside and then bring it inside the garage in order for the lazer to read the RPM.
That's what I do. :)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Ariens1976, sorry but you don't have to wait till it gets dark the lazer will work very nicely during the day as if you put the batteries and shine it indoors you will see it shine on the walls, just be careful not to shine towards the eyes of anyone including pets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Ariens1976, sorry but you don't have to wait till it gets dark the lazer will work very nicely during the day as if you put the batteries and shine it indoors you will see it shine on the walls, just be careful not to shine towards the eyes of anyone including pets.
You are right. During daytime, it works inside ... but not outside ... different explanation but saying the same thing as I did. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
It works like a charm. The machine was running at 3326 i think, ramped it up to 3578 and I can't believe the difference it made. Runs smoother and chucks that snow really good now. Don't regret that 35$ bucks

·
Registered
117 Posts
It works like a charm. The machine was running at 3326 i think, ramped it up to 3578 and I can't believe the difference it made. Runs smoother and chucks that snow really good now. Don't regret that 35$ bucks
How were you able to raise the RPM's?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts