Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. . .Just bought a new Ariens Deluxe 24 from my local dealer who delivered it greased and with a little TruFuel in it. I pulled the strainer from the gas tank to check how much fuel was there and noticed a fine grey-black particulate sitting on the bottom of the tank. The dealer said he'd had several Ariens blowers with this issue and suggested I run the machine until it runs out of gas, add fresh gas and then, if there's a problem restarting, they'll look at it. Ariens suggested I have the dealer look at it first since the particulate might be harmful to the engine. Has anyone else had this problem, if it is a problem? Thanks, MS

·
Registered
340 Posts
Personally, I'd fish around in the tank with a magnet on a stick. If you're lucky, the particulate is metal from tank production and metallic, in which case the magnet should pick it up and remove it from the tank.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
I don't think I'd run that gas in it. I'd do whatever to get it out. Siphon then try to clean with compressed air, with a clean rag.etc..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi. . .Just bought a new Ariens Deluxe 24 from my local dealer who delivered it greased and with a little TruFuel in it. I pulled the strainer from the gas tank to check how much fuel was there and noticed a fine grey-black particulate sitting on the bottom of the tank. The dealer said he'd had several Ariens blowers with this issue and suggested I run the machine until it runs out of gas, add fresh gas and then, if there's a problem restarting, they'll look at it. Ariens suggested I have the dealer look at it first since the particulate might be harmful to the engine. Has anyone else had this problem, if it is a problem? Thanks, MS

There were threads on this earlier this year. My Plat 24sho had the same crap in the tank.

I used a hard drive magnet on a stick to fish it all out. (if you have old Hard drive, there are 1 or 2 Neodymium magnets in there. You need a torx t8 to dissassemble.)

When I was done, I put the magnet on the outside of the tank.

When I contacted Ariens about it, they mentioned a filter that will collect anything that comes out of the tank, preventing damage to the carburetor.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I would return the unit. Really, crap in the gas tank and they say run it. And I would find a new dealer, maybe a new manufacturer.

Reactions: SkunkyLawnmowers

·
Registered
58 Posts
There is a fuel filter just FYI that will collect and crap in the gas. Run it and replace the fuel filter every year as recommended in the engines maintenance Manuel.

·
Registered
826 Posts
yep, Michael, the filter will probably catch all the crap. Its the principle of it. Not acceptable on a new machine, and lousy attitude from the dealer.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I wondered what happened to the IDIOT that worked at the dealer I bought mine from. Return the unit to the dealer for a refund along with a note about the bonehead that gave you this advise. Question the next dealer about their procedure with service problems, See if the answers are any better.

Your problem also goes to an earlier question about Extended Warranties. It's only as good as your Dealer!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Yeah, I think I've seen this in probably each of the Ariens I've bought over the past few years. I've been using a suction device to get the stuff cleaned out.

(Do these engines really have fuel filters???)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Not sure on filters for the LCT engines, by the Briggs on my Pro 28 doesn't have a filter that I've found. Just a fairly fine screen on the outlet fitting from the tank (which would keep most debris from making it out of the tank).

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Someone pulled and lct apart and said it had the inline inside the tank line
Telling him to run it with that in there and delivering it like that

THEY ARE FIRED

·
Registered
326 Posts
Paper towel with a screwdriver will get most of it out. There is a strainer on the tank that will keep out the big stuff.

You could add an in line fuel filter if you were that concerned about it. The big box stores has a B&S red in color fuel filter for around $5. I added them to my machines. Easy to do.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Interesting.

Years ago I bought one of the Harbor Freight Greyhound engines to replace the Tecumseh on my Toro 521.It ran great for the first winter but during the second it started having issues with surging.

I eventually found that its fuel settling bowl(like on a Honda GX series) was full of fine,grey particulate matter.I took the carb apart and found two grains in the hole under the low-speed pilot jet.Removed that and it has run fine ever since.The gas tank has a mesh filter that's part of the fuel line connector.I believe some of the crap was in the gas tank.I removed and cleaned the tank,too.

I show that stuff to someone and they believed it to be casting sand that wasn't cleaned out of the carb body after casting.If that's what it was,I don't know how it got into the gas tank.Maybe it wasn't,it's been a long time.I might have just cleaned the tank just to cover all the possibilities.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just replaced the fuel valve (leaking) on the model in my sig. In addition to the strainer at the top where you pour the gas in, the pick (at the bottom) itself has an additional strainer. Probably not as good as an inline filter but still picks up much of the larger debris. A magnet on the side is not a bad idea either.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My new machine had junk in the steel tank too, Last year I removed the carb bowl and there was quite a bit of junk in it. Well I cleaned the carb bowl then added the fuel filter.

I don't expect further issues with dirt in the tank. I figure it was a manufacturing issue. My gas cans are clean, the tank is now clean after several tank fulls. I added an in line gas filter too.

The carb bowl is spotless now. How do I know? I removed it after the season end and looked.

Most lawn mowers run a filter because they are used in the summer. Dirt is everywhere, but in the winter everything is frozen coated with snow or ice.

The only dirt that can enter the gas tank is from the gas station tank or your gas can....

·
Banned
318 Posts
you know the dealer already fired it up with that fuel in it
real good advise run it through the carb boneheads

another strike for the dealer
My Honda’s don’t have anything but fuel in the tanks. This is not the first thread I have read about this problem with Ariens!

·
Registered
340 Posts
My Honda’s don’t have anything but fuel in the tanks. This is not the first thread I have read about this problem with Ariens!
It seems to be specific to the LCT powered Ariens units too. I don't remember seeing anything in the tank on my Briggs when I first filled it. Are the Hondas metal or plastic tanks?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts