Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made puller to remove the large pulley at the end of the auger shaft on a older ariens tear drop. I first tried prying it off but it was fairly well rusted on. The problem then was to find something thin yet strong to get under the pulley hub. The picture pretty wells explains it. The cross pieces are from an old 3 ton rachet jack that I cut into three 16" pieces. I used two pieces of 1.5" x 3/8 x approx. 7" long stock for the cross pieces with 3 -3/8" holes drilled in each piece . I used a 1/2 " machine bolt and nut as a center turn part. I hammered on this to vibarate auger shaft often as I screwed down the bolt, using a small hammer. The penetrating oil and vibartions helped a lot.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,672 Posts
Al
That's one heavy unit from what I see. If I can add a thought or two here. Most of the blowers I've worked on will not have enough space between the back side of the pulley to the auger housing to fit it in. If it does, you're set.
I've used a gear splitter setup. I've drilled 2 holes near the shaft so the puller can get to it, the splitter portion is under the hub of the pulley so little chance of bending the pulley. The pulley doesn't turn so fast so it doesn't get out of balance, plus with 2 holes opposite each other, it should balance out.
Another I did have a wide flange on the back side of the pulley, I drilled 2 holes and threaded them and just used the screw part of the puller - that also worked.

Don't take it wrong, I like and encourage what you created. Some times it might not work and here's a couple of possibles if you run into them.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I find Heating Cherry Red with a Torch Usually Does the Trick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts