Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a newer Escape to replace my almost thirty year old PU. In reading through the manual I noticed it DIDN'T have a spare tire. Apparently that is a common thing on new and newer vehicles. It took me quite by surprise as I sure would have ripped up the rear carpet looking for it had I developed a flat. Is it just me that's surprised by this or have you gone for one and found it never came with one ??
Apparently they do it because no one seems to miss them, less cost to them to equip the vehicle with one and saves on weight ie gas mileage.

Just curious.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Nobody misses them??? Really....... Although many don't change the tire on the side of the road, They get AAA to change it for them but they need the tire to have it changed. Or does everyone just have it towed for a flat???? What has happened to people, All become THAT lazy and entitled that they can't even change a tire?

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
That's crazy. It must be a cost/space thing imo.

I am not going to lie. Had my Taco for 5 years now and have not needed it once. I am sure if I go to use it most likely the bolt holding it in place under it is pretty rusty. It's almost like a waste.

When you need it you need it and have to have it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
has to do with what size rim ford puts on the car, 18 inch rim and better gets a air pump with a pressurized bottle of tire sealant which when used makes to TPS no longer usable, so besides having to buy a tire one also has to replace the sensor. downside is if the tire fails to hold air after trying to use the kit, your calling for roadside help as you also don't have a jack

we have a 2015 escape se , it has a spare and kit as it has 17 inch rims .yet my 12 mustang came with 18, no spare but i was able to buy a spare tire kit from ford for it from american muscle . tire and rim, jack and lug wrench, TG it didn't have the oversized brakes which would have meant getting a special 18 inch alloy kit from a newer stang not a steel rim kit

mod make sure you don't lose that small funnel in the trunk, that's to help put in gas when you run out, thanks to fords NO gas cap tank filler.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Haven’t had to deal with an Escape but most if not all cars that are equipped with ‘run-flat’ tires do not have a spare tire. Haven’t noticed one car/truck fitted with regular tires without a spare, but we now deal with 90-95% of vintage cars vs contemporary.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I have a 2002 GMC Envoy with a spare (which I've never had to use) and 2012 GMC Acadia (for 2 years). It has a donut (under sized) spare that is still new... never used. I would feel kind of nervous and a little stupid if I had to call someone for a tow because of a flat. The Acadia has a weird location for the battery though. Under the rear passenger side floorboard. ???

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Full-sized spares, on matching wheels, on all daily/regularly driven vehicles.

Bonus: Do it that way and the spare isn't 'wasted', because you can include it in your regular tire rotations.

Have I ever needed 'em? Nope. Am I glad they're there? Yep.

Caveat: All the vehicles in the fleet are old enough not to have any of that high-tech newfangled foolishness.

·
Registered
194 Posts
not all of the new escapes have run flat tires most are just standard tire model and brands

ford for one in it's infinite wisdom,makes the spare tire well to fit only the standard 17 inch spare tire, all the bigger rims 18 ,20 ,22 inch won't fit the wheel well so we get a 12 volt air pump that has a bottle of tire sealant , if the OP looks he will see the bottle also has a expiration use by date on it. if not used the white sealant inside becomes lumpy and unusable.
when it is used it also fills up the costly rim TPS sensor , bingo add some big dollars to the cost, cleaning the rim of the junk, replace the tps, tire ,program the new tps to car.

there are spare tire kits for them , but one must first be sure the rim in the kit fits over the caliper and studs match the rim. IE escape 12mm . mustang 14mm

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Good question. . . I just bought a new Ford Explorer. I'm not sure if there is a spare tire. Probably should take a look.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Most of the time they are flat or rusted in place. The factory jacks and wrenches are garbage also. Many times the wheel hasn't been off of the car and is corroded in place anyhow. Have it towed to a safe spot and have roadside assistance handle it.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Back in the Jungle it was nothing to get several flats over the course of a long trip, so when the supply of the two carried spares inevitably ran out it'd be time to look at the three flat tires and go for the best one. Throw it under the van, jack applied to bust the bead. Fish the tube out and apply sizzle patch(es) as required, stuff it all back together again, inflate and go.

Extra fun in the rainy season, that patch smoke would really stank up the air inside... still love that smell.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm just used to doing it myself. I do my oil changes and rotate the tires, check all for pressure including the spare so I know I should be able to get them off if something happens. With full size spare it gets rotated too. It lets me check my brakes and know when it's time to get a new set of tires usually before winter.
The escape is just odd for me as it's the first vehicle with no spare and especially when I found out it has the semi-automatic parking system. Freaks me out hitting that button and letting the car turn the steering wheel itself to zip into a parking spot.
Only needed a spare once (so far), Wisconsin pothole blew out a tire and sure enough I couldn't get the wheel off and it was way below zero.

Thanks for the heads up on the inflation goo taking out the TPMS sensor. I was just curious if anyone else had been surprised that their car didn't come with a spare. Seems like everyone else knew. :icon-embarrassed:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/08/your-next-car-may-not-have-a-spare-tire/index.htm

·
Registered
668 Posts
Why bother including a spare tire? Have you seen the so called "emergency jacks" included with the spare tires these days??? Looks like something that fell out of the Erector Set kit when I was a kid. Can only imagine how many serious injuries a year can be attributed to "inexperienced" motorists monkeying around with those emergency jacks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Kiss4aFrog
with you stating you like to do your own oil changes also.wait till you try to do a LOF on a escape. jack it up find the correct metric and torque driver, remove i think 12 screws that hold up the belly pan, so you can see the drain plug and filter. 10 min job takes me about a hour. first my floor jack is too high when low so drive the car unto chunks of 2x 8 , jack it up, remove that big chunk of air dam pan , drain, tiny fl910 motorcraft filter makes a big mess clean up the mess,

hope you have a newer than 2015 there and have the 2.0 not the recall heavy 1.6 that was causing all the fires from cracked heads making the coolant come out hit the exhaust bingo instant fire , if not catching fire they would burn the coolant in the bores, it gets down to just below the low level,bingo instant fail safe 5 mph while doing 60 plus on a interstate
yep been there escape one a 2013 1.6l, caught fire the day they made the first recall and the dealer called saying don't drive it we are sending a tow truck with a loaner ford wants them off the road,TOO late , it caught fire last night, man was that car ever hidden from view, ford gave us another only to have more coolant issues, went lemon law and won,ford gave us a 2015 with the 2.0 nice car but soon to become a santafe

·
Registered
235 Posts
All my vehicles have a spare.

My only flat tire in 23 years of driving was in my own driveway. One evening I walked to my pickup to see a rear flat.

With modern vehicles' tire size, I understand why they don't put spares, there is no space where to put them. People want big vehicles, so big wheels come with them. I mean, think of how much space you need to store a 18+ inches wheel AND its tire.

My old pickup has 15" wheels and my daily driver has 14", these are pretty easy to handle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts