Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use a cover on your snowblower during the off season while stored in your garage?

After end of season maintenance and cleaning, I can see a cover being useful to keep the blower clean and protect it from impacts, but it could also trap humidity and promote rusting.

· Registered
226 Posts
I use a fitted sheet, not a plastic tarp. It keeps the dust off and the machine clean without trapping humidity. The lawn tractor gets a queen size fitted sheet in the winter as well. Same reason. I'm not too worried about protection from impacts.

In the background of the chipper you can see the lawn tractor wearing it's hoodie.

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bumper

Reactions: Grunt

· Registered
368 Posts
Do you use a cover on your snowblower during the off season while stored in your garage?
No cover here. Blower is stored in a cold shed. It can get some grass/tree pollen on it during the summer but this disappears after the first use in winter. I’ve always had the opinion that free airflow trumps cleanliness for OPE. Nothing breathes as well as “no cover whatsoever’

· Super Moderator
7,050 Posts
no covers on my snowblowers either but i do bring them out and wax a different machine when i wax one of my minitrails

· Registered
1,550 Posts
I use a sheet over OPE in the garage to avoid dust, etc from projects, and to protect a bit from accidental scratches. In the shed I do not use any covers. Vinyl or plastic covers are an invitation to the critters, esp mice.

Reactions: KJSeller

· Registered
23 Posts
I have a snow blower cover made to fit anything from a 21" single stage to a 30" two stage. It outlasted my 21" single stage and still looks new.

After every use I dust the snow off my 24" two stage blower and put the cover on it in my side yard, chained to the fence. In the off season I wheel it into my shed and put the cover on, because there's no reason not to, and because it keeps the dust off.

It fits loosely enough that I don't think there's any risk of it trapping moisture.

· Registered
865 Posts
No cover here. In the winter it's kept in the unheated garage and in the off season it's in the shed for about a week after I drain the fuel system. I leave the cap off the fuel tank so the last vestiges of fuel evaporate and then I move it to unfinished part of the basement. There, in the luxury of the climate-controlled environment I do all the maintenance like greasing & oiling that which needs greasing & oiling, checking the friction wheel and such, and then I just roll it into a corner there. It stays there until the next snow is forecast and then I move it to the garage. I don't actually put fuel in it until there is actual snow on the ground. This isn't Buffalo so there is a good chance that I won't use it at all in a given year, then some other years we get buried, which is why I have a snow blower at all.

· Registered
634 Posts
Breathable black cover for the off season, stored in the garage workbay. It sort of keeps dust away, but is also a visual thing.

The seasonal-storage cars get covers plus moving pads. The snow blower just the thin cover, sits on the mini dolly so it's easy to roll around when needed.

· Premium Member
3,032 Posts
I store mine in a well ventilated shed in the off season under an old breathable car cover.

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Brown Property Wood Textile Shade

· Registered
60 Posts
I do own a vintage car and I do keep it covered for dust.

But a darn blower that is lucky to be well maintained and stored indoors, why must it be covered indoors?

I respect my Snap-ons enough to keep them clean of water/grease, but I sure don't polish/buff them with chrome polish.

· Registered
196 Posts
I store mine either in the permanent shed (concrete floor) or in my HF 10' x 10' tent shed which is raised above the ground on pallets. Both can see a problem with humidity at times of the year, so I don't cover the blowers. I used to cover them when they were left out in the yard (before I got the tent shed).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts