Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to rebuild this right side tranny gear case on a WHEELED HS928. Have done a bunch of tracked machines and never seen this hardware piece before holding the 11T small gear.

The bearing blew behind the gear. All I have to do is remove case.

On a tracked hydro the end of shaft has a small 2-3 mm hole. no threads.
Maybe this hardware piece is pressed on? I cant get a puller between piece and gear and dont want to damage it.
The back part of piece has tiny ridges. I dont think it is part of the shaft but may be wrong. The gear will not slip off. It is being held on by this piece by a mm or less.

just dont want to damage anything but force.

Wondering if any Honda techs know what this is and how to remove. All the Honda diagrams for this WHEELED right side transmission gearcase does NOT show this part.

the piece in question is on the end of the SMALL 11T gear in picture. Maybe @ST1100A . @tabora , or someone else knows?

thanks gang,
20210222_150359.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
could i be mistaken that this is a hardware piece and just part of hydro shaft? would I just need to pull gear off? thought of that but it feels that the gear is being held on by this end. I don't want to damage anything and reach the point of no return.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I've never worked on Hondas. Just a mechanical opinion. Are you talking about the cone shape piece with the raised burrs? If so it looks like part of the shaft, a continuous piece. It may be a dual use piece used on another model or different piece if equipment, maybe not even Honda, made by a parts manufacturer to be shipped to someone else for their machine, or was going to be used and never did and using the remainder of stock. Does the gear pull off or maybe the gear and shaft are one piece and you'll have to disconnect from the other side. My opinion, read my liability disclosures on my website, if you can find it. I've never been held accountable so why should I start now.

Reactions: orangputeh

·
Registered
1971-72 910962 s/n-03101 att.-910995 s/n-048006 TEC# H70-130067A s/n-1218R. #2- 10M6
172 Posts
I am not an expert but it looks like the dust seal on the tracked version. Part #15. Channel locks to remove it I would think.

·
Premium Member
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never worked on Hondas. Just a mechanical opinion. Are you talking about the cone shape piece with the raised burrs? If so it looks like part of the shaft, a continuous piece. It may be a dual use piece used on another model or different piece if equipment, maybe not even Honda, made by a parts manufacturer to be shipped to someone else for their machine, or was going to be used and never did and using the remainder of stock. Does the gear pull off or maybe the gear and shaft are one piece and you'll have to disconnect from the other side. My opinion, read my liability disclosures on my website, if you can find it. I've never been held accountable so why should I start now.
appreciate your opinion. ya. wish I could take it off from other side but can't. you may be right and it is actually part of shaft and maybe the gear just pulls off. just dont want to try if it does permanent damage. have learned that the hardway.

was hoping someone here had experience with wheeled units. I have done about 10 of these gearbox rebuilds on tracked units.

I removed engine so it is really light and easy to move around. just may take to the dealer and le their head mechanic look at it. He told me he has done a couple hundred of these. must have done some wheeled units in that bunch.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
appreciate your opinion. ya. wish I could take it off from other side but can't. you may be right and it is actually part of shaft and maybe the gear just pulls off. just dont want to try if it does permanent damage. have learned that the hardway.

was hoping someone here had experience with wheeled units. I have done about 10 of these gearbox rebuilds on tracked units.

I removed engine so it is really light and easy to move around. just may take to the dealer and le their head mechanic look at it. He told me he has done a couple hundred of these. must have done some wheeled units in that bunch.
How about just take the picture to ask them instead of the whole machine?

Reactions: Rooskie

·
Registered
31 Posts
It may be threaded on (maybe LH) try holding the gear and jamming a 12 point socket on it. Also check in that hole to see if there might be an Allen bolt down in there.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Could just be epoxy that someone left on there or worse welded the shaft to make sure the gear stays on, there is no extra part that goes on there beside the spacer/washer. Unless thats whats left of the spacer/washer I think its just corrosion. I have rebuilt dozens of these and am working on a HS828 wheeled unit as we speak thats a 1990 model, the earliest HS828 that i could think of and even that one doesnt have anything of this nature on there, I have seen folks weld stuff in the gear box such as countershafts, gears etc to make the machine work. As one of my favorite youtuber "Vehcor" would say " someone's been here before".

·
Premium Member
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe this?
23234-767-C10BUSH, CROSS SHAFT
wish it were. that is a plastic bushing that goes into the side of engine bed cover for that small 11t gear.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Can you get closer to the gear with the camera? Can't see squat in that photo.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
There is a washer between the gear and the plastic bushing.
The washer is a 12mm X 23mm x 2mm part # 905-99767-C10
It is a very thin thrust type washer.
Some of the parts like the washer look worn in the picture.
The gear should just pull off but the washer might be torn up a bit causing the gear to be difficult to remove.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
It looks like the shaft has a small groove in it. You can see the splines on the shaft at the end. The tiny hole in the end of the shaft is there to put the shaft in a lathe to machine it.
The shaft is all one piece, that 'end piece' is part of the shaft. The gear just slides on it, nothing holding it in place.
The gear splines and shaft splines can get worn and make the gear get stuck on the shaft. You have to work with it trying to press or pull it off.

·
Premium Member
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is a washer between the gear and the plastic bushing.
The washer is a 12mm X 23mm x 2mm part # 905-99767-C10
It is a very thin thrust type washer.
Some of the parts like the washer look worn in the picture.
The gear should just pull off but the washer might be torn up a bit causing the gear to be difficult to remove.
yes. this picture is horrible. I already took washer off. Maybe @JnC is right and this is a ******* "fix"

I tried pulling it off. It stops by that cap piece. I'll try to get a better picture. The cap is slightly wider than gear. It's almost 10mm wide by about 10mm deep. I'll put a caliper on it. It is not welded on. It seems like it may be pressed on.

Unless it is just the end of hydro shaft but never have seen anything like this. Probably will take to dealer. The head mechanic said he has done at least 100 of these.

·
Premium Member
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks like the shaft has a small groove in it. You can see the splines on the shaft at the end. The tiny hole in the end of the shaft is there to put the shaft in a lathe to machine it.
The shaft is all one piece, that 'end piece' is part of the shaft. The gear just slides on it, nothing holding it in place.
The gear splines and shaft splines can get worn and make the gear get stuck on the shaft. You have to work with it trying to press or pull it off.
i get it. the gear moves freely on shaft splines. that end part is wider that splines on gear. the end part does not look abused, hit with hammer or anything. will try a smaller puller to get in there and try pulling off.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Check the inner hole of the washer to see if it is torn up, it could be bits of it in the splines causing it to jam up in the splines

·
Premium Member
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is the end of the hydro shaft. The splines might be messed up causing difficulties in removing the gear from the shaft.
so it is different between a wheeled shaft and track hydro shaft then? I have worked with many many hydro static trannies and none had this kind of end.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts