Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only ethanol free gas that I can find locally for my Ariens is premium and it's 70 cents more per gallon than regular. When we went to by my first gallon of gas for my new SB I filled our GMC Yukon too.

My wife thinks she's getting better mileage but I wonder if it's a 30% better. I didn't write down her mileage so I can't calculate it. At 30% increase in mileage we just break even. There's no way it can improve mileage more than 30%, can it?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
It WILL improve fuel economy & performance on passenger vehicles. I'd run maybe 2 tanks of it to test it and record the results and then decide if it is worth it or not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree it will increase fuel mileage but I doubt it would 30% better. If you average say 15 MPG. A 30% increase would equal about a 4.5MPG increase. If that was the case everyone would be running ethanol-free lol

·
Registered
261 Posts
So from the race car world.....
E85 = 85% ethanol also its 104 octane...
It takes 30% more volume over the same conditions. This is based off the standard of e15% ... I know it's not related to power directly but it's more about volume of fuel usage compared.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Based upon energy content of 10% ethanol versus 0%, you should see a 3% increase in MPG by using the 0% ethanol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree it will increase fuel mileage but I doubt it would 30% better. If you average say 15 MPG. A 30% increase would equal about a 4.5MPG increase. If that was the case everyone would be running ethanol-free lol
She averages 15.6 MPG and she says it's showing just over 19 on the current MPG display so that's pretty close to your numbers. I guess I'll have run a couple of tanks through it and do it the old fashioned way with pencil, paper and calculator.

My gut's telling me it isn't as great of an increase as she thinks it with so little information.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based upon energy content of 10% ethanol versus 0%, you should see a 3% increase in MPG by using the 0% ethanol.
It's also premium vs regular octane too, we don't have ethanol free regular here so I can't really compare apples to apples.

Like you calculated, all I'd expect to see would be a few percentage points.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It WILL improve fuel economy & performance. I'd run maybe 2 tanks of it to test it and record the results and then decide if it is worth it or not.
I'll run a couple of test tanks through it now for a ballpark comparison. The problem is with the constantly changing road conditions of winter it'll be tough to get reliable numbers. When the warm dry weather returns I'll do it again for a more accurate comparison.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It may make a tiny difference but not that much. It was a fluke
That's what I'm afraid of. My instant MPG reading was 101 MPG once in my '07 Tundra but I was towing and going down hill. I think the trailer was doing most of the pushing. If cars got that kind of mileage the oil companies would just jack the prices up to $20 a gallon maintain their profit margins.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
GMorning Eric, What year is the Yukon? Is it a Flex-Fuel Vehicle (Green Leaf on Tailgate) by any chance? If it is, there is a sensor that can 'read' the ethanol content of the fuel (allegedly), and alter engine performance, by comparing O2 sensor and Flex-Fuel readings. IF that's your model, it takes approx 5/6 tankfuls get accurate mileage readings. Keep a long term log and also if you out in E85 or E15. The 'instant mileage' reading is a calculated (estimated, aka, FALSE), based on Engine Vacuum (MAP Sensor). Steady Cruise on highway will be a fairly accurate "Instant Mileage". Can't help with small engine 'Mileage'. Your Mileage May Vary. HTH. J

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
You have to take those fuel consumption readings on Toyota's and others with a grain of salt, especially when you have just filled and reset the readings. They do the calculations quickly based on the amount of fuel going through the system and the milage covered. If, for example you fill up, and then get stuck at a railroad crossing for 5 minutes right out of the gas station, once you start moving again, it will tell you you are getting about 2 MPG. All the time you sat at the crossing, you get 0 mpg. The MPG reading will increase quickly as you get moving to cruise speed and lighten up on the gas.

My Highlander is getting crap milage on the computer so far this winter, but we drive mostly in town, short trips and avoid the highways whenever the weather is bad, so the readings don't surprise me much. It gets pretty decent milage when the driving mix is more balanced in the nicer weather.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You will notice bigger differences in winter and summer months. Probably not going to be as significant of gains in the winter, but yeah - I would run a few tanks and see. My 2003 F150 truck does better with the E free stuff during the summer and it offsets the cost enough to make it worth it. In the winter it's not as efficient........ cheaper to buy the E-gas

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It's also premium vs regular octane too, we don't have ethanol free regular here so I can't really compare apples to apples.

Like you calculated, all I'd expect to see would be a few percentage points.
Energy (BTU content) in Premium is the same as Regular gas. The difference is in Octane, and some gas have more more cleaners in the Premium.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I can't comment on the premium but my experience between E0 and E10 87 octane is noticeable. I don't use E10 but have been in situations where I've had to use it and I'm not one to stick in a couple bucks worth of gas so I always fill it up. The car seems to run the same (99 Buick) on both but the mpg takes a pretty good hit. With all city miles I get about 210ish miles per tank before the gas light comes on with E0 but with E10 I only get 170ish. That's quite a bit considering it only takes a hair over 14 gallons to fill up when the light comes on. It works out to about 3ish mpg less. I'm only paying .25 more for E0 so I actually come out a head not to mention using less fuel that has to be processed.

Even if you throw in all the variances possible in that situation you're not going to be able to even it out.

This is just one vehicle. If this is true for all cars that run the 3800 series two engine think about all the extra fuel having to be processed.

Sorry this king of turned into a rant but I think the whole ethanol thing it just wrong.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Adding Ethanol to gas = less BTUs = less mileage. Ethanol is basically a hidden Tax.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
In Iowa it's subsidized and it's lower cost here for E10 because of it. Trust me, the farmers don't benefit from it...... I use what costs less to operate at the end of the day........ I realize in some states it's just shoved down your throats in order to save the environment and for the guys in Washington to feel good about themselves. They don't care about your machines running like crap and how much it really costs to produce the in-efficient fuels...... but that's a discussion for a different forum. The pain we feel is just a result of poor decisions.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Given how crappy many farmers already live and yet how much we need them (just like teachers) if they make some more money I'm all for it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm all for E85 if they would make engines that could utilize its potential rather than cripple the engine to also run on regular gas. Heck if it can be used more to put some money in the farmers pocket and curb imported oil than even better. I think the only guys using e85 anymore are guys with hot rods and race cars. I know of several 4 cylinder cars with 500+ horsepower and getting over 30mpg on E85.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts