Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Skids not adjusted and a leaking valve stem...

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
hey there bud dont you know they call it a scraper bar for a reason? yeee hawww see them sparks !!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
@micah,

That bar is doing its job, and as mentioned , does not look all that bad , I have seen way worse.

I will say though, that the things most neglected by the average person in maintaining a blower, which are very easy to do, are:

Failure to add additive to the gas.

Failure to check tire pressure or even fix tire leaks.

Failure to adjust skids periodically.

Failure to keep it greased and lubed.

But then again, you have many people that treat a car the same. They just get in, turn the key and drive, for years, without doing anything. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
@micah,

That bar is doing its job, and as mentioned , does not look all that bad , I have seen way worse.

I will say though, that the things most neglected by the average person in maintaining a blower, which are very easy to do, are:

But then again, you have many people that treat a car the same. They just get in, turn the key and drive, for years, without doing anything. :)
Gas additives aren't a necessity if you use ethanol free fuel.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
" by the average person "

The average person does not go out of his/her way to by ethanol free gas.

" Petroleum-based gasoline without any ethanol will still succumb to oxidation and volatile compound evaporation in a sealed container or tank "

JMHO

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
:iagree:

Yes, alcohol free gas is the way to go and you'll have fewer problems BUT that's still no guarantee it won't gum up if you forget to drain it before an extended period of storage or dormancy.
In my case I know it's overkill but I go get gas, bring it home, add a measured amount of stabilizer and fuel injector cleaner almost every time. During the summer I tend to slack off as I go through so much gas in the riding mowers.
It just makes it easier on me should I forget to empty a machine that's out in the barn.
Best thing to to is run them dry before storage. Only exception to that for me is if it's one with a metal tank. Those I have shutoffs on, run the carb dry but leave the tank full and add a shot of oil and slosh it around a bit to try and prevent rust.

This is the fuel tank on my Ford 8N. I was going to try and save it until the pile of rust coming out of the tank just kept getting bigger and bigger. Hard to tell from the photo but it isn't spread out on the paper bag it's literally piled up, like 5-6 inches in the center. :surprise:
The coat hanger is how I was digging the flakes out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tank on your 8N seems to be DONE N.:surprise:

·
Registered
871 Posts
ethanol in gas is not a problem for the season, the issue is using old gas or keeping it in the machine for months at a time, it attracts water over time.ymmv

·
Registered
157 Posts
@micah,

You forgot, Failure to change the oil,ever,just added.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts