Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Lowe's yesterday and just happened to walk by their snowblower selection and saw this little two stage. Looked like a nice little unit for smaller driveways but the thing that I thought was odd was the super skinny push mower tires.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Actually, that looks like a very good design, as the machine would pull you through the snow basically, and the larger, lightweight wheels will allow for easy pull back, as well as easy turning.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is this the first time Lowe is carrying the Ariens brand? I don't recall seeing Ariens at Lowes ever.

·
Registered
454 Posts
YES They are better for smaller drives,but you'd be surprized what these will clear as they have very fast ground speed in the right conditions. you'd also be surprized these can clear accumulation up over the top of the bucket like any other 2 stage

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
if that is a 2 stage it doesnt look like it has drive to the wheels?

·
Registered
113 Posts
After seeing previous versions of this machine that Ariens produced over the years, I think they might hit the right mark this time around.

I do like that it is only 20 inch wide, easy to move out of the garage between cars. It is longer than a single stage, so it's not going be as maneuverable. It is still going to be more maneuverable than a regular 2 stage with driven wheels. The metal bucket is located further ahead of the wheel axle so it keeps the front end down a bit and prevent riding up the snow pile.

I think the non-driven wheel may be a matter of preference for buyers though. I can go either way depends on the application. For light snow, I like the simplicity of a free wheeling idea. No need to shift forward, reverse, and select the speed. For heavy snow and EOD, I prefer to have driven wheels to help me ram that snowblower in the snow.

The 2 stage portion is going to provide the throwing distance and snow ingesting volume that the SS lacks. If the 2 stage mechanics is kept light and compact, it doesn't lose anything to the rubber auger design, with the exception of cheaper and simpler to repair and maintain.

Someone commented on another thread that the engine may not be big enough since the Snow Master has a larger engine. I think it may be just the right balance of weight and power. The Ariens doesn't use the power to a separate drive system, so all the power is going to throwing snow.

The price point is pretty competitive. No electric start option, no remote chute controls which the Snow Master has. Those costs goes towards the 2 stage mechanicals and the metal bucket.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Was just at lowes and home depot, and didn't see that machine at either. They each had a handful of machines, but still a very narrow selection .

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
it doesn't look like it is self propelled,

i can only see one cable going to the handle bars, and im assuming thats for the auger

the skinny tires probably make it easier to push
so it's a modified single stage but with 2 stage? sounds interesting for smaller snowfalls. couldnt do EOD though i'd think.

·
Registered
279 Posts
so it's a modified single stage but with 2 stage? sounds interesting for smaller snowfalls. couldnt do EOD though i'd think.
Might be perfect down south :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
148 Posts
179 cc motor .push it forward speed doubtful for a healthy eod wonder how long the auger skins will last since they are like a normal single stage tire belt

·
Registered
279 Posts
179 cc motor .push it forward speed doubtful for a healthy eod wonder how long the auger skins will last since they are like a normal single stage tire belt
I was thinking same thing. I see substantial bolts holding the rubber on. I think it would be much easier to replace than a Toro. I had a big fight with my 3650 and a older 2000 , with the small bolts rusting, lack of space, and a larger piece of rubber to bend into place.

·
Registered
148 Posts
hear you on the bolts! yet thankfully they are nuts and bolts so if frozen one could just make them snap off,

·
Registered
279 Posts
hear you on the bolts! yet thankfully they are nuts and bolts so if frozen one could just make them snap off,
More like smoke wrench 🔥

·
Registered
133 Posts
a 179cc engine would be useless with the snow we get here, thats the size of my lawnmower engine,

pushing this thing around would be just as much of a workout as shovelling would be IMO

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
What's new from Ariens

·
Registered
113 Posts
"King of Snow" Is this a self-proclaimed title or actual title awarded by an independent organization?

·
Registered
142 Posts
My driveway is at an incline, so there's no way I would ever want to push this up the driveway. I would probably push it to the curb and leave it there lol

1 - 20 of 40 Posts