Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started with me looking at buying a snowblower for the front of my four wheeler, sure didn't feel like dropping that kinda coin on a snowblower. Then one day I was cleaning up behind the barn, looked at the two broken 924024's given to me a while ago. Then I walked into the barn glanced at my welder, and said "What the heck". I brought them in and stripped them down to bare bones, and made a lot of measurements. I welded up a frame and put castors under it and bought two Predators. I didn't have too much faith in what I was doing at the time, If it worked, GREAT. if not, Oh well. So I really didn't put too much time into either until tested. Well, it worked. Except for the gov linkages freezing up it worked pretty darn good. So now Im doing some needed updates to the two blowers like bearings, bushings and paint. Figured I'd do this after building the heater boxes.

I'll post pictures when I can, or check my profile.

Oh yeah, if anyone needs parts for their 924024. Drop me a line. I have tranny parts and engines.

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
Very cool man, nice job! Makes me want to get an atv and some blown snowblower...

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
It all started with me looking at buying a snowblower for the front of my four wheeler, sure didn't feel like dropping that kinda coin on a snowblower. Then one day I was cleaning up behind the barn, looked at the two broken 924024's given to me a while ago. Then I walked into the barn glanced at my welder, and said "What the heck". I brought them in and stripped them down to bare bones, and made a lot of measurements. I welded up a frame and put castors under it and bought two Predators. I didn't have too much faith in what I was doing at the time, If it worked, GREAT. if not, Oh well. So I really didn't put too much time into either until tested. Well, it worked. Except for the gov linkages freezing up it worked pretty darn good. So now Im doing some needed updates to the two blowers like bearings, bushings and paint. Figured I'd do this after building the heater boxes.

I'll post pictures when I can, or check my profile.

Oh yeah, if anyone needs parts for their 924024. Drop me a line. I have tranny parts and engines.
You need to patent that. That setup is uber cool.

Reactions: msteiny

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couple more pics on progress. Heater boxes are done. Now on to bushings, bearings, impeller upgrade and a coat of paint. Not getting to crazy with prep work on the paint job, time will not allow a complete strip down. Good thing for rust oleum orange engine paint, it covers well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,673 Posts
looking good. how do you adjust the chute from the four wheeler

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
You could create a tie rod to link the chute direction. A bolt in each chute base, two heim joints, and a rod. You could also add a 12V wiper motor, with a momentary switch to direct them remotely. Ideally, find a junk yard one, that's cheap. Might be able to do something similar for the deflection, but it would require a lot more engineering and cables.

Food for thought.

Great job, by the way.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That is way cool

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the cool points. I wanted to keep this simple and cheap. Where I live the deflector never comes down, so I may not even put it back on. The chutes on the other hand will be turned independent of each other with electric window motors. This way I can go down my drive way and spray down both sides, depending on the wind of course. So I will be using switches in a box along with a deadman switch to shut everything down in case of an emergency.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Those engine covers are slick. I have heard about the issues with the Predator engines and the governor/choke/throttle linkages freezing up when used in a wintry application.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Thank you for the cool points. I wanted to keep this simple and cheap. Where I live the deflector never comes down, so I may not even put it back on. The chutes on the other hand will be turned independent of each other with electric window motors. This way I can go down my drive way and spray down both sides, depending on the wind of course. So I will be using switches in a box along with a deadman switch to shut everything down in case of an emergency.
Well, it's cool that like minds think alike. I definitely applauded your creativity.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Nice, double trouble.:D

Looks like now you have to weld up some kind of enclosure for the 4 wheeler to keep you dry.
Add a little heater and a radio and you will be set.;)

You keep stressing keeping it cheap, may I ask about how much $$$ you got into her so far? Without the labor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You keep stressing keeping it cheap, may I ask about how much $$$ you got into her so far? Without the labor.
When the picture was taken last year I had only the cost of the engines at $99 a piece, bigger pulleys and belts, so around $230-240 (4 wheeler not included :D). Everything else used was laying around work or home. Now that I know it works, I'm putting some money into the project for this year. So far the only things that have been bought are bearings, bushings and paint. The impeller kit will be made from conveyor belt and the electric chutes are complements from my buddies 90's Mustang. Hopefully I'll get it ready before the snow flies, that all depends on how much time I spend in the tractor.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Looking good.

This project has my wheels a-turn'n. Not that I have the fab skills, or garage space, but if you were to use the wheel axle to power a smaller skid steer set of tracks and bogey setup. I don't think that a friction disk transmission would work. You would have to find hydro units.

Would take quite a bit of fabricating, and not have the mobility and utility that you have there. I do enjoy "outside the box" projects, keeps the mind working.

·
Super Moderator
6,673 Posts
when I left henry's I was looking forward to coming home and finishing up the roof but james was a step ahead of me so now the only thing left to do is put the corner section on the gutter tomorrow. then I've got six of seven motorcycles to put in hibernation if its dry the rest of the week

·
Registered
184 Posts
Couple more pics on progress. Heater boxes are done. Now on to bushings, bearings, impeller upgrade and a coat of paint. Not getting to crazy with prep work on the paint job, time will not allow a complete strip down. Good thing for rust oleum orange engine paint, it covers well.
You have some serious fabrication skills and an astute sense of engineering using the TLAR (that looks about right) method.

Are the heater boxes custom or did you adapt some off-the-shelf boxes?

Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am starting to collect parts for a similar project to go on the front of my dingo mini skid steer. The hydraulic units are too expensive for the amount of use I have.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Very nice work, Very creative.

Lee

1 - 20 of 24 Posts