Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With ice / snow mix. Ariens Deluxe 30, skims over without significant handle down pressure. Ideas to add weight on front. I have a gravel drive and really don't want to lower skids a lot to throw stones...

· Registered
518 Posts
I seen a video from Ariens where they installed the weight on the inside of the auger case. I installed mine on the outside.

The holes to mount the 10 lb weight are already on the housing. The weight just bolts on. Front of housing on top.

Several here have reported making their own by taking steel plate, cutting it to length, drilling the holes and painting. For me, that was too much work. I think someone here also said they used a sandbag.

BTW, the kit is selling for $75 on Amazon. $63 and up on Ebay. You can Google "Ariens 72001600" and find cheapest price.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I seen a video from Ariens where they installed the weight on the inside of the auger case. I installed mine on the outside.

The holes to mount the 10 lb weight are already on the housing. The weight just bolts on. Front of housing on top.

Several here have reported making their own by taking steel plate, cutting it to length, drilling the holes and painting. For me, that was too much work. I think someone here also said they used a sandbag.

BTW, the kit is selling for $75 on Amazon. $63 and up on Ebay. You can Google "Ariens 72001600" and find cheapest price.
thanks I have 30 SB. saw the holes. may try a HM version. i googled got same numbers.

· Registered
137 Posts
Easy enough task for any DIY'er to fabricate a bar and attach to any snowblower, however for some the option is also there off the rack sort to speak.

For me it would be a simple fabrication in my garage, for my son it would be buy a finished product off the shelf or bug his old man to make it for him...lol. New generation don't seem to get the same enjoyment from tinkering with their own solutions, no right nor wrong just different generations for the most part.

· Registered
518 Posts
Tucks up nice and tight inside front top of the bucket..........Can't really see it, but here's a picture, it's in there!! Held in with like two 1/4" bolts(one seen).........
View attachment 209499
You've got a light on top of your chute deflector?
How many watts do all those lights draw?

· Premium Member
528 Posts
More or less 20$ for a steel bar , 1/2 x 3 x 27 plus paint (Kubota orange ) . Bolted on the outside and adds about 12 or 13 lbs and looks good ... not enough,,add another
Please let me know where you can buy that size bar for 20 bucks. Any place I look (for 20lb) its about $80 and I might as well buy the Ariens version at that price and no work req'd on my part--just bolt it on.

· Registered
2022 Great Lakes Edition
395 Posts
You've got a light on top of your chute deflector?
How many watts do all those lights draw?
I do..........They use about 12W

· Registered
114 Posts
I'm cheap and would look for materials laying around or buy on clearance at Lowes. Get a length of pipe or steel tubing and fill it with concrete to the weight you want. I'm thinking pipe because i just picked up a 3' length of structural pipe on clearance for less than $2 and I'm always buying the damaged bags of fast set for 50% off. Drill holes in the tubing then insert the bolts and pack with concrete. Can even paint the tubing whatever color you want.

· Registered
518 Posts
A piece of PVC drainage pipe, 24" long, 3" dia filled (as much as possible) with a 10# bag of Quikrete ($3.78 at Lowes) would work. (Completely filled would probably weigh 15#).

• Helpful
Reactions: LenD

· Premium Member
528 Posts
A piece of PVC drainage pipe, 24" long, 3" dia filled (as much as possible) with a 10# bag of Quikrete ($3.78 at Lowes) would work. (Completely filled would probably weigh 15#).
Which is exactly what I determined I could use when I REALLY dug deeper. I think it would take 2 -23"x3" pieces to make up that weight.

Just make sure the bolt holes are drilled and the carriage bolts installed (and one end cap glued on) BEFORE filling with the quikcrete (y).

· Registered
115 Posts
Please let me know where you can buy that size bar for 20 bucks. Any place I look (for 20lb) its about $80 and I might as well buy the Ariens version at that price and no work req'd on my part--just bolt it on.
welding shop is where l got mine...they had all different thicknesses and lengths. Add to that the cost of a can of Kubota orange paint, 2 stainless bolts ..bingo, looks great. Bolted on top so if l am really unlucky and a bolt fails it does not fall into the auger. That is maybe 30$ (Canadian) total.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts