Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still got another couple hours before I have to do the first oil change on my new Ariens deluxe 24,just wondering if anybody uses a piece of rubber hose to attach to the drain pipe so oil doesn't get all over everything when draining it.i was gonna go to my local ace hardware store and get a short piece..unless someone has a better idea..

·
Registered
27 Posts
How would you unscrew the cap on the drain pipe with a piece of rubber in the way?

Most people just seem to put a pan below the drain pipe, unscrew it, and let the oil drain. Maybe tipping the snow blower back a little to get the last few drops. Like this:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zD_Zv-PJeiQ/maxresdefault.jpg

You'll get a little residue on the end of the drain pipe, but just grab some shop cloth to clean it up.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I put the snowblower up into the service position, take off the cap (rear facing drain tube) attach my custom drain tube, and put the other end of the tube into a milk jug or container, return the snowblower down onto the wheels and let the oil drain. It's as simple as that. But as someone on here suggested a few months ago, I might go this route in the future. Very cleaver.
Drainzit? Oil Drain Hoses | Drainzit Oil Drain Hoses

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
My Platinum 24 SHO has a rear drain so I just tape a piece of aluminum foil to the back of the tractor housing and fold the hanging portion into a V so all of the oil drains into my "oil catcher," which is a folgers coffee container.

When I'm done I use a small funnel to transfer the oil into an old milk jug.

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
For new ones or unknown maintenance used ones, tilt it with a 2x4 toward the drain. If it's in the middle rear just do the bucket, if it's on one side, do the opposite wheel. After it's warmed up let her drain until it starts dripping, then drop another 1/2 quart of fresh new oil into the hot sump and flush the "sparkles" out. After that I use a suction pump with the machine tilted to one corner and snake the suction tube to that corner.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Packers, you should be able to get a piece of poly tube at the hardware with the correct ID. Tip the machine forward, remove the rear drain plug, fit your new poly tube and tip the machine back and drain away!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, I use a junk water hose for the tube drain type - fits just right! I haven't yet used the service position step when installing the hose. The only downside is that the used hose wants to continue to dribble longer than I want to wait for it to stop.

I also use a 3" pvc stub tube to extend the "trough" type side drain on a yamaha or honda w/tracks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts