Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The drifts this year have been really getting big with all the wind we are getting.

I checked around the local dealers and none of them stocked the drift cutter bars so I made some out of some scrap aluminum angle I had.
They really help a lot!
Also from reading this forum I decided to tack my engine and found it was only turning at 3200r's so I bumped it up to 3500 to still say conservative but it did make a noticeable difference in throwing snow.

Good forum - learning good practical things here.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've seen guys use old bars from chainsaws as well, the cool thing about them being you don't need to drill any holes in them.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I've seen guys use old bars from chainsaws as well, the cool thing about them being you don't need to drill any holes in them.
Scary thought. One of those old style blowers, auger rakes exposed, self driving with no safeties and chainsaw bars as drift cutters. Hope no one puts chains and sprockets on the drift cutters. :)

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
The drifts this year have been really getting big with all the wind we are getting.

I checked around the local dealers and none of them stocked the drift cutter bars so I made some out of some scrap aluminum angle I had.
They really help a lot!
Good forum - learning good practical things here.
I applaud your ingenuity. I have made them from mild angle that is used in hanging garage door opener track. Works great. I have a Toro 521 that I actually have the real deal. Haven't installed them yet though. Need snow to use them..

·
Registered
665 Posts
Nice job with the driftbars. Sort of reminds me of some one elses machine. :D

I actually made my new Caesarstone drift bars maybe 1" longer then the Corian bars. When I was out clearing 2 storms ago, I noticed that they really help with tackling a snow drift when I take the machime and go side to side with it. They will knock down a drift really good, BUT...... I should have made them about 4" (+) longer. They would help by knocking the drift down sooner. :confused:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Scary thought. One of those old style blowers, auger rakes exposed, self driving with no safeties and chainsaw bars as drift cutters. Hope no one puts chains and sprockets on the drift cutters. :)
Sounds like a cool add on for a Bobcat . The auger drive gear is right there any way :cool: If I get up to camp this winter I'll suggest it to my buddy , he doesn't have any of those chain guards on his machine , should be a simple add :D I know he has a couple of worn out bars from his chain saw
< insert long disclaimer here ;) >

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was a bit lazy and did not put my drift cutters on yet. I mainly use them to prevent me from scratching the machine up against some large boulders that border one side of my driveway. The cutters rub up against them and also knock down the drifts that form against those rocks. This thread was a good reminder to put them on before the next storm.

·
Registered
247 Posts
local dealers in central MA were all out of them too. I ordered a set from Jack's online, only to find out later that they're back ordered, (date keeps being pushed out) after they charged my credit card!

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Can I ask a dumb question?

A lot of stuff I read about drift cutters stresses that they're easy to remove or reposition.

Is that just to make the 'blower take up less space in storage or is there some other reason?

·
Registered
38 Posts

A lot of stuff I read about drift cutters stresses that they're easy to remove or reposition.

Is that just to make the 'blower take up less space in storage or is there some other reason?
it's a storage/safety thing. I've got a few ripped pants and gouged thigh scars that can attest to that! Plus you don't want the bar to get bent either when you smack and catch the side of a ladder you were trying to maneuver past it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
it's a storage/safety thing. I've got a few ripped pants and gouged thigh scars that can attest to that! Plus you don't want the bar to get bent either when you smack and catch the side of a ladder you were trying to maneuver past it.
What do you sharpen your drift cutters and walk around your garage drunk lol? My Arien's OEM's and nice and smooth with no sharp edges and the same nice thick coating as on the blower body. And, if i need to go real close to something I just knock the snow down off it first so I dont need to scrape the edge of the wall. thats hard on the paint after all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What do you sharpen your drift cutters and walk around your garage drunk lol? My Arien's OEM's and nice and smooth with no sharp edges and the same nice thick coating as on the blower body. And, if i need to go real close to something I just knock the snow down off it first so I dont need to scrape the edge of the wall. thats hard on the paint after all.
ya got me....I'm a water balloon filled with vodka!

Okay, I'm exaggerating on the scars, but I find it hard to believe you've never caught yourself on the edge of a piece of thin metal, rounded or not and torn a nice rip into some jeans!

·
Registered
27 Posts
ya got me....I'm a water balloon filled with vodka!

Okay, I'm exaggerating on the scars, but I find it hard to believe you've never caught yourself on the edge of a piece of thin metal, rounded or not and torn a nice rip into some jeans!
Lol nice. That is your problem though, you need to switch to rum. The nectar of gods RRRRRR!!!(my attempt at internet pirate sound).

Yeah, I ripped my jeans the other day on a nail. Never on snowblower drift cutters though. O crap, now I will rip them on it cause I said that lol.

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
Making your own is easy but the safety thing is important. Mine are stationary but all I'd really need to do is add a winged nut from a big box store and I'd be able to fold them easily. I bought a 3' piece of boxed steel and some stainless hardware and used florescent orange to paint them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Nice!

I also like the reflectors... that's a great idea.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This thread has really taken off since I was here yesterday.

Anyway those bars were not really anything special - I just cut a piece of angle in half, drilled four holes and bolted them on. Took maybe 15 minutes.

I was thinking of making some better ones out of some scrap stainless 10 ga I have but, those aluminum ones do the job just fine and I rarely need them.

I like the reflectors too!

·
Registered
189 Posts

What they said, also I like to tip my snowthrower forward and use the auger buck as a stand when I'm messing around inside the gear case. I even stored it that way through late summer and fall... It takes up a lot of real estate in the shed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts