Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of drill has anyone used to drill through a snapped off, hardened steel easy-out?

My regular drill bits won't touch it.

Happened on an exhaust bolt on small engine ... not the end of the world really, as I can use the pipe thread, which is excellent, but would like to attempt to remedy the bolt hole.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Observing with interest. Wager nothing you can use in a hand held drill.

·
Registered
570 Posts
What type of drill has anyone used to drill through a snapped off, hardened steel easy-out?

Happened on an exhaust bolt on small engine ... not the end of the world really, as I can use the pipe thread, which is excellent, but would like to attempt to remedy the bolt hole.
I just drilled a cotter pin hole through my friction disc hex axle. It took me a couple of hours to drill it. Broke multiple drills bit. Titanium drill bits, or not, they don't last very long, so buy them in quantity.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I just watched a utube vid, where they drilled and tapped hardened transmission shaft. Used a masonry drill bit, had to sharpen with a grinding wheel, but it did finally drill into the softer part of the shaft.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Tungsten carbide bit. A little pricey but it should go through hardened steel. Use a good cutting oil when drilling.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
if you got a torch that uses oxygen you could try heating it up till it is glowing red then let it cool. should hopefully help soften the metal to make it easier to drill with normal bits.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would love to try that Rescue Bit, but not at 50.00 for a 1/8-inch bit ...
Called a friend of mine who is a tool maker his first reply was good luck. He said if you are trying a hand drill it will be tough a drill press would be better. Tungsten carbide will work but the key is patience. There is a chance drilling could work harden it even more. Just his thoughts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd love to have that 1/8" rescue bit for my flex shaft grinder but by the time it's delivered to Canada it'll be like $100 , not many jobs in my shop can justify a $100 bit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think going through will be next to impossible, but if you try to carefully drill along side it you may be able to loosen it. In other words use small bits in the steel next to its grooves.
another way might be trying to weld something to it for leverage, but without a pic I don’t know if that’s an option

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah, already tried the side method, a no go .... I originally drilled the broken bolt with two size bits ... I should have kept drilling, then clean out with a tap, but thought I would try the little easy out, and unfortunately it snapped .. no real biggie, as I will be installing a pipe fit exhaust ... I will know for next time to keep up-step drilling and re-tap. ... Think I will pick up one each of these ...

Rectangle Font Magenta Circle Screenshot

Light Plastic bottle Font Fluid Bottle

·
Registered
212 Posts
1. If you can get to the back side of the hole, hit the broken easy out with a punch. If you can't get to the back side use a sharpened drill blank and hit it from side to side. If it loosens you might get lucky and get it out.
2. A sharpened carbide tipped masonry bit is your second choice.
3. A Stellite drill will also work but they are not cheap and it should be done on a mill or at the very least a drill press or the drill will wander to the side.
All three of these methods have worked for me in the past and all three of these methods have also failed, so good luck.
Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Circle

·
Premium GOT Member
8,835 Posts
go another way if you have an option. pipe thread as mentioned. this is near impossible unless money is no object.

BTW I always use good drill oil to save my expensive HSS bits. ( learned hard way of course )

good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Harbor Freight had easy-outs on sale? Only thing that would go through a Stihl chainsaw bar was a cobalt bit. Ruined probably 15 bits to figure that out.

·
Registered
317 Posts
A carbide bit is a must. But if you're drilling by hand, drill walk is going to be a major problem.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts