Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping for a bit on advice on how to remove the drive belt on my old Craftsman snow blower. Model C950-52379-5 10/32. It's a 1985ish model.

I pulled it apart but wondering if I have to do a lot more disassembly or am I missing something here?

In the picture if you look at the bottom pulley and how close it is to the case there is now where near enough room to get the belt off. I attempted to remove the pulley from the shaft but the pulley won't clear the belt retainer piece on the auger tensioner (small red arrow in the pic. I am wondering if the shaft that the pulley runs on has to be pulled back a bit from the drive wheel side of the case? Wondering if i'm over looking something here?
Appreciate any and all replies:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I would take off the top pully with the retainer then pull off the bottom pulley.
That is awful close, has the side been hit down there?
I would give that spot a big bang with a big hammer to get a bit more clearance. 1/8 th or a 1/4 inch is all you need.
But this is advice without actually seeing it in person.
Looks to close for comfort to me.

Reactions: Bigrockk

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I'd take the idler pulley off then take the bottom pulley off but look toward a hammer first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to add a bit more info: I did remove the belt from the top pulley which was fairly easy, just had to pull back on the tensioner and it came off with out a problem. The only thing stopping me from completely removing the belt is the lack of clearance between the bottom pulley and the case. I'm fairly certain, but not positive the pulley is original as my brother in law bought the machine new and I inherited it about 14 years ago.

The only thing stopping me from removing the bottom pulley is belt retainer for the auger pulley (not in the picture). That belt retainer is the bar you see hanging down in front of the bottom pulley. I can push it back against the case but it still interferes with the bottom pulley when I try to slide it off the shaft.
I was hoping I was missing something but I suspect Oneacer nailed it, I'll probably have to do some more dismantling.
Thanks to all, I appreciate every one of the replies.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I agree, that is probably not the original bottom pulley. I have a couple of those era Craftsmans made for the US market and they are all equipped with steel pulleys in that position.

Reactions: Bigrockk

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Not only is that a replacement drive pulley, which by the way could affect the belt size, but you can also see the auger idler used to sit at the other end of its bracket, so yes, that machine has been previously meddled with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good info, makes sense. That bottom pulley certainly looks out of place compared to any other parts on this machine.

I originally split it to replace the auger belt as it was slipping. Once I had it open I noticed the drive belt was in poor condition.

Since I’m working in a plastic shed with no heat and the temp was -30c (-22f) this morning I think I’ll leave the drive belt and just do the auger belt. I’ll revisit the drive belt this spring when temps are a little nicer and I have more room to work on it outside. Hopefully it hangs in there until then.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I go through mine every spring, and the owner before me was also up on maintenance. I'm sure that's why it's still running strong after 37 years of heavy use. Belts looked okay last spring, even now the old auger belt looks okay but wore a bit on the edges. Drive belt stills works fine but I got a much better look at it when I split the blower in two.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well what a difference it makes when your not trying to work in a crowded shed in 40 below :) Turned out to be a 15 min job. Split the blower, took the pin out of the engagement mechanism for the auger. Now the shaft marked with the red arrow could slide forward with the pulley that needed to be removed. Sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious in extreme conditions! I was lucky that belt held together for the remainder of the year.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Valve Red Plumbing valve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts