Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just replaced the drive and auger belts on my 2006 troybilt 24" Tecumseh. I started it up without the covering and the drive belt tensioner seems to be moving a lot. Is this normal or do I need a new tensioner spring perhaps? I tightened the one bolt on the tensioner slightly (wouldn't really go further without a crazy amount of effort) but I don't think it should be bouncing that much. I also need to loosen the idler pulley for the auger belt. The new belt is quite tight and I can see the impeller moving slightly after releasing the handle. I also saw the auger belt vibrating a bit crazy after releasing the handle. I had tightened it previously.

Here's a video of the drive tensioner bouncing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5zd7hXQNBHW6LtTu7

·
Registered
88 Posts
Many old machines had ' belt fingers ' to help hold slack belt into place . Yours doesn't look too bad considering the Auger Pulley is sheet metal, and could be bent .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many old machines had ' belt fingers ' to help hold slack belt into place . Yours doesn't look too bad considering the Auger Pulley is sheet metal, and could be bent .
More importantly what about the drive belt tensioner? I think I need a new spring. I will definitely loosen up the cable on the auger side.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Is the the nut loose on the arm of the drive belt tensioner.....not the tensioner pulley it self but above it where the arm is mounted to engine???

Just by looking at video....Maybe??? If not Spring is your next bet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the the nut loose on the arm of the drive belt tensioner.....not the tensioner pulley it self but above it where the arm is mounted to engine???

Just by looking at video....Maybe??? If not Spring is your next bet.
I will check that bolt..........But I didn't touch it.....

Also did you buy correct belt size(aftermarket?)??? Maybe a little large??
Yes, I bought the correct belt. It barely fit on there with me pushing the tensioner pulley out of the way.......Which makes we wonder if that spring really is bad or not because man it was tough to put it on. The size was perfect - not too long, not too short.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I'd definitely take off the tensioner, clean & lubricate the pivot area and check whether the spring needs replacing...

·
Registered
686 Posts
I am with you.....Spring!!!

Have you tried tightening the existing spring!!!

I know when some have had theirs break(curl on end of spring) breaks off so it is just like a straight rod before curled spring they take a propane torch to that now straight rod part of spring at end where the curl broke off and curl it around a pair of needle nose or pliers to a similar hook shape of spring before it broke. So then the tension of spring is a bit tighter due to smaller size. I hope that makes sense. Just a thought. Anyone??? You would have to clip off the curl one end of spring and try it or just order a new one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought a new spring for $3.09 that cost be $4.10 to ship it or something ridiculous like that. :D SHould arrive tomorrow. I took it apart, inspected the pulley/bearing, cleaned everything up and nothing seemed out of place......except maybe the spring looking a bit old. Hoping this will fix it.

Is the spring supposed to go over the space piece there? Maybe that's the problem. Putting tension on the spring when installed seems way too easy. That said, it was difficult to put the belt on as I had to push the tensioner pulley quite hard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Installed the new spring....and same thing. So it is not the spring. I feel like with the tensioner pulley bouncing all over the place it's going to put extra stress on the drive belt. Then again. I wish I had taken the cover off and looked at how the old belt behaved before installing the new one.

Anyone have a similar machine that can see if their tensioner bounces around as much as mine?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Maybe the tensioner is positioned incorrectly? There should be a fair amount of tension on the drive belt...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe the tensioner is positioned incorrectly? There should be a fair amount of tension on the drive belt...
There's pretty much only one way and direction it can go in order for the belt and pulley to line up. Plus when I changed the belt I didn't even take off the pulley. So I highly doubt that is it.

I'm guessing now maybe there's too much tension because of the new belt? What's confusing is MTD/TroyBilt told me that correct belt is 34.4" and 3/8" top width compared to what was on the machine - 33" and 1/4" top width.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
There's pretty much only one way and direction it can go in order for the belt and pulley to line up. Plus when I changed the belt I didn't even take off the pulley. So I highly doubt that is it.

I'm guessing now maybe there's too much tension because of the new belt? What's confusing is MTD/TroyBilt told me that correct belt is 34.4" and 3/8" top width compared to what was on the machine - 33" and 1/4" top width.
Well, THAT'S some important information... You have not provided your actual model number; is it this one? Troy-Bilt 5024 (31AS6BN2766) - Troy-Bilt Storm 24" Snow Thrower (2006) It calls for a Troy-Bilt 954-0367 BELT 3/8 X 34.4'' But yours may be different?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, THAT'S some important information... You have not provided your actual model number; is it this one? Troy-Bilt 5024 (31AS6BN2766) - Troy-Bilt Storm 24" Snow Thrower (2006) It calls for a Troy-Bilt 954-0367 BELT 3/8 X 34.4'' But yours may be different?
31as6bn2711

Don't go by what's on the website......because it's wrong. I bought this unit brand new and the belt that was in it was 754-04088 and it's 33" x 1/4". If you look up 754-04088 on the mtd website and click on "Fits models" it shows a completely different model.....

This belt fits perfectly inside of the pulley. if it was any wider it would not fit. I've called support, chatted, and checked their websites. On the phone one rep said "If you have a 1/4" belt then get a 1/4" replacement".

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa......tabora called it........How about the engine number as well.....What type of tecumseh??? 5.5hp???? LH195SP????(HSSK55)
Tecumseh 5.5hp.

Look at the comparison video. Same engine, same belt, same tensioner setup.....and his doesn't move at all.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Well, looking at your video, it looks like your drive belt is too narrow for the pulley. It should not bottom in the v-groove. I would try the belt specified on all the sites I checked: 3/8 X 34.4''

·
Registered
686 Posts
954-0367? So no on 3/8 X 34.4???

I typed this before tabora's posted so when I saved it I had not seen his post...disregard...

oh maybe it did not post......awww forget it...you get it. Agree with tabora....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, looking at your video, it looks like your drive belt is too narrow for the pulley. It should not bottom in the v-groove. I would try the belt specified on all the sites I checked: 3/8 X 34.4''
Please explain why 754-04088 is on my machine......when purchased new..........and also on the other video I posted as well. Same machine basically, same engine, same belt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts