Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
For future work, always take a picture before disassembly, this way re-assembly will be accurate , as it was prior to repair ....

Unless it was improper to begin with .. :)

Usually the parts manual will show the assembly sequence, or possibly a photo in the Maintenance manual.

Just make sure it is in alignment with the other chain gears, and not rubbing anything, as well as proper tension, which usually is a slight amount of slack.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'va just changed my drive disc on my deluxe 28 921035 and when I reinstalled everything, I didn't remember how the little gear on the chain was installed in which position. The picture show how I reinstalled it.
You have installed the gear correctly on the hex shaft. Looks the same as mine.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Be sure to clean any residue off the drive pulley - kerosene works well. Also apply a very light coat of white lithium grease to the hex shaft. Move the traction drive lever from high to reverse to gain access to the entire length of the hex shaft. Make sure no grease gets on the friction disc or drive pulley.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I finished up my pre-winter maintenance today. When I got done, I wiped the driven disk with a paper towel. Several times.

Just on a whim, I wiped it with an alcohol wipe and got all kinds of additional gunk off. The wipe was filthy. Whatever this gunk was (probably a film of grease and oil) was embedded into the steel and never came off with just a paper towel.

So the lesson is, even when it looks clean, it's still got a grease/oil film on tbe metal.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I have a bottle of isopropyl alcohol in my shop always just for wiping down and finish cleaning tools and surfaces.

Also, Zep orange citrus de-greaser works wonders.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I finished up my pre-winter maintenance today. When I got done, I wiped the driven disk with a paper towel. Several times.

Just on a whim, I wiped it with an alcohol wipe and got all kinds of additional gunk off. The wipe was filthy. Whatever this gunk was (probably a film of grease and oil) was embedded into the steel and never came off with just a paper towel.

So the lesson is, even when it looks clean, it's still got a grease/oil film on tbe metal.
Same experience with the black deposit but I think it is a rubber deposit from the friction disc in my case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts