Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I believe my 1028 is about a 1996. The engine runs very well and the auger drives strong and hurls snow a good distance.

I'm having an issue with the forward & reverse drive however. When I shift into a gear and engage the drive, sometimes it goes right along - other times it does nothing at all. Often times, if I lean into it with my hip and help it ...it will go. Occasionally, after driving right along, it just stops driving. Reverse makes is shudder noticeably. As well, neither the 1st or 2nd "reverse" gears make the machine move quickly at all. (I used to have a similar aged 824 and when I popped that thing in 2nd reverse gear, it hauled butt!).

I see that the drive chain (my term, not sure that's what Toro calls it) has a lot of play in it. Both the primary drive sprocket and the one on the wheel axle look good; no noticeable wear.

If you have any guidance on my "drive" issue, I'd love to hear it. I'm about to start taking off the lower rear red cover of the whole drive assemble box (another term I made up) to see what's what.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
who makes this 1028

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If it has one check the friction wheel. normal symptoms of it needing replacement. unless you have a transmission

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hah (stupid me). Yes, I assumed since I was in the "Toro forum" that that was implied :). It is a Toro PowerShift 1028.

I assume I don't have a transmission (?) since there's no clutching? Just moving that shift lever from neutral over to the left for forward and/or reverse gears :). I'll check the friction wheel.

Does anyone have a manual for this beast? The one on the main page of the Toro forum looks like it is quite general (Two stage snowblowers) and not about the PowerShift...

Thanks all!!!!

Jay

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure I don't have a friction wheel. Coming off the engine is a "primary drive" (my term) pulley that both the "drive belt" and "auger belt" are driven off of. It's weird, when I took that black plastic cover off to expose these belts/drive pulley that I notice the actual "drive" belt was constantly ..."ON". The "secondary" pulley that the belt drives is constantly spinning - even at idle without the drive actually being engaged.

I will check the spring the returns the pulley wheel (that is to engage the drive belt) but it seems to work. It does return the pulley wheel, but, maybe not as far as it's supposed to.

Any thoughts/guidance are appreciated. Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out why the overall drive ability is only semi reliable. Sometimes is drives fine, and then it just stops driving. If a give it a shove with my hip, it starts driving again.

Maybe the drive belt is worn...?

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
260 Posts
You would not see the friction disc by taking off the top plastic cover. Flip the machine up on the front of the housing and then remove the metal cover on the bottom. About a one ft sq piece of metal. I think I there you will find a fiction disc.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I stand corrected, you do have an actual geared trans. see the link below. So replace the belt and hopefully all will be well. If not, just buy a new trans, only 982 bucks

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
All toro powershifts have a transmission in them. Because of the design a fiction disc would not work. Enter the model number on the toro site you can down load the service manual for free. Check the belt for wear the chain slap is 1/8 to 3/8.let me know if you need more help

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!!!! Cdestuck, where is the "link below"? And what do you mean about buying a new trans, "only 982 bucks"?

POWERSHIFT93, I did download the service manual from Toro (pretty cool that they provide that at no cost - not many do). I ruined the old chain by taking a link out of it. Waiting for my new chain hopefully Friday.

One big question: Why does the "drive" pulley spin (from the belt off the engine crankshaft) when the "drive lever" is not squeeze on the left handle of the snowblower? I can't figure that one out. As I have the machine balance on it's snout, (on the auger blades), and the bottom/rear covers off, I can see the transmission and the drive sprocket is turning ...even when it's in Neutral. I just don't get that.

Thoughts?

Thank you very much!!!

Jay

·
9,612 Posts
First off the idler pulleys are what puts the power to the auger or wheels. When the handles are in the up position the belts will move freely around. The reverse drive is done via the bell crank on the top of the trans. In order n.1.2.3.4 if the trans has no chain on that spin the trans pulley and watch the spocket you can see the different ratios turning. I doubt the trans is shot. If you can upload pics or video so i can see better. I will not leave hanging in the wind.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure how to upload a video... If I can get them uploaded, here’s what they show (if not, hopefully I can clearly ‘ask’ the question).

I just took two videos of the running snowblower:

1. Of the engine crankshaft (sorry if my terminology is not 100% from the factory) that drives the belts. In this brief video, my goal was to show how the wheel-drive belt, not the auger/impeller belt, is spinning the "pulley" or traction sheave down below ---- while the left handle drive engage lever is NOT being squeezed/pressed down onto the handle. I don't understand why that is. I do (I think) understand that when you squeeze that handle/lever, it engages the idler pulley which presses into the drive belt, tightens it up on the traction sheave and ...makes it drive (if it's in gear). Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but, I'm just trying to be absolutely clear.

2. Second video is while standing behind the running machine with that lower plate removed which exposes the transmission and drive chain area (chain is currently removed). It shows the drive sprocket, on the side of the transmission, spinning – or more like “turning”, without the left handle/lever being squeezed. As well, it’s not in gear. I don’t understand how that drive sprocket is …”driving” while it’s in neutral and doesn’t have that left handle/lever squeezed. Now, it certainly speeds up when the handle is squeezed and I put it into a gear/higher gear.

If anyone can help me understand how this stuff is taking place – I’d be grateful.

Thanks,

Jay

·
9,612 Posts
I would yank them belts. And get toro belts right now. that is not the right belt it is to small. when the lever is not engaged that bottom pulley should not turn one bit...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The "drive" belt is brand new, from Toro, the part number that their website calls for. (It's the same exact part number that was on their before - that I took off, and that belt looked fine; not overly worn or stretched etc.).

I'm not having any issues with the auger belt so I've not mucked with it.

I don't know if the transmission has been out or apart. I bought the machine this summer. I've not taken it out or done anything to it.

For what it's worth, Reverse is poor on this machine. On my other PowerShift 8/24, Reverse 1 would comfortably back up at a slow pace - and Reverse 2 would fly backwards. This one, R1 barely moves it backwards and R2 ain't much better...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also, POWERSHIFT93, the cable for idler pulley for the 'drive' wheels is not too tight so as to be engaging the idler pulley when the handle is not squeezed... Just thought I'd throw that in there.

It's very confusing; to me. What else can you think of :)?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts